To sell or not to sell.. New macbooks..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bc008, Oct 26, 2008.

1. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

well, this all starts at the beginning of summer when my macbook pro broke.
    I was frustrated with apple laptops at the time and got it replaced with an iMac.

since then I have had the thought of a macbook in my head and when the new ones were announced that tipped the scale.

I was wondering if I should sell my iMac, and pick up a new macbook (2.0 GHz version) I dont need the power of my iMac at all, and rarely have over 1GB of RAM in usage. I would also make some profit off this, and Since my parents got my iMac it would be nice or them to gain something out of this as well.

I really dont know, there is nothing wrong with my iMac, I just love having the mobility of a laptop.

2. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

I thought the same with selling my mac mini. I'd just love the portability of a laptop, but decided against a new macbook.

I kept the mini (as i had enough money for a white one) and ordered a white macbook. It should be fine for me, the key thing putting me off selling the mini and buying a newer macbook is that i wouldn't have a computer for about 3 weeks!

If possible, i'd save up as much as possible so that you wouldn't have to sell... or maybe even go for a white one, the refurbished store has some incredibly cheap ones atm. Just my opinion really, its up to you...

3. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

as nice as that sounds, i dont have a job or an income.. I also have to admit i dont have the patience ;)

also, i hate having two computers. i had the situation once and promised myself i would never do it again. i dont know what computer to keep my music on, files, etc..

4. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

what do you guys think i should do?

i want to ask fast as i heard about the new iMac later on before christmas.. not much time left.

5. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

I don't fully understand your question; it seems that you've already made up your mind...

6. southernpaws macrumors 6502

well it's not like we can tell you what to do. but i will tell you what i know from buying the new macbook while keeping my white intel imac.

i use my imac much less now that i have my macbook. some of this is due to the flashy new gadget attitude, but when i do use my imac, i find myself trying to use the gestures i'm used to on the macbook that aren't available on the imac.

Even when i have a bluetooth mouse connected to my macbook, i still use the trackpad gestures. it's the first trackpad i've used that makes itself more than just a mouse stand-in, it's indispensible.

So with all things being equal (power/processor wise) I would pick the macbook based on the trackpad alone.

7. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

I was wondering really how much i could get for it? and if its even a good idea.. i guess i do have my mind made up though

wow! back when i had my macbook pro i loved how easy it was to rotate things in preview and go back and fourth between web pages.. i think you have helped me make up my mind! :)

8. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

why would I want to pay you more than I would pay Apple? I think you'd be lucky to get what you paid for it less a hundred bucks or so.

9. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

what are you talking about? i never said i would be asking more than one cost new?:confused:

10. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

nm, I read it wrong.

If you're trying to sell the iMac, I'd start the price at 10-20% off of the new price.

11. jojo13 macrumors 6502

jojo13

12. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

np when i read yours i first thought i said something really stupid :p

and to the above poster: yea i think im gunna! i havnt debated between:

$1300 Macbook
    $1600 Macbook
    $1350 refurb Air

13. borjasanz macrumors newbie

Do not go with the Air, I would highly recommend the Macbooks, by price they are the best Mac Laptop out there, I mean price/quality like. Get a Macbook not an Air!!!

14. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

2nd opinion

Bought a 2.0 alum book. Upped the memory, size, design, feel, speed, etc. However, I didn't like the screen. Everything seemed washed out, no matter what I did. If the screen's a little bit off of ideal viewing angle, the image quality suffers. It renders blacks and dark colors horribly.

I compared it to a friend's 1299 macbook he bought last christmas. It was brighter and sharper than his 2.2 c2d whitebook, but it wasn't much better dealing with blacks and darks. Go to an apple store and play the last keynotes: everyone who was wearing a black shirt appeared to be a floating head. (Apple keynote by Dr. John Dorian) OTOH, my white c2d 20" white imac could clearly differentiate between the shirts and the backgrounds.

I plan on taking my macbook back to the apple store and looking at the mbp's. If they don't have the john dorian floating head effect, I'm buying one. It's a pity, but I think if they had the same quality of screen in the macbook, who would really want a mbp?