To Sell or Not to Sell...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mykbibby, May 27, 2008.

1. Mykbibby macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

That is the question. I was all set to put my 8 GB iPhone on eBay on June 1st... giving me one week to sell it before the Jobsnote on the 9th, until I read this. Apparently Orange called French costumers, telling them that there will be a swap in solution, making the new phone only 50 bucks, and that there would be a generous subsidization.

My question: do i take it as a rumor or sell?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Anyone that answers this will only be speculating, pretty hard for anyone to give you an answer based on anything else but their equally ill-informed opinion.

Personally I find it a bit hard to believe that they will not only swap the handset over mid-contract, but then subsidise the cost of the new one. Doesn't seem to make sense in the slightest. On that basis, I'd sell before the 9th and hope for the best.

Then again I could be completely wrong :eek: :rolleyes:

edit: Never mind the fact the French market has diddly to do with the US.

3. bombtrack macrumors member

Are you contemplating selling your phone b/c you are betting the new ones come out on the 9th or b/c an announcement on the 9th that new phones will be out, for example, on the 27th, will make prices drop substantially on the 9th? Going without my iPhone for 3 weeks would be rough ...

4. Mykbibby thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

Here's the deal. I am getting the 3G iPhone. I have prepared since launch day of this iPhone to get it. I have 600 dollars saved, ready to go. Obviously I would like to save some money so I could spend it elsewhere (iTablet?). Therefore my plan was to start selling on the 1st, while the worth is still substantial, have the auction end June 8th in the evening, and try to make 200-300 dollars off of it, which is what they are going for now, especially with the shortages. But what I don't want is for Jobs to stand on stage and say that everyone can trade in their old phones for the new one for only 50-100 bucks. That's why I'm asking: is this rumor credible, or should I stick with my initial plan?

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

I'm with edesignuk.

My opinion on "Multiple readers of French technology site PCInpact are claiming to have been called by Orange regarding an upgrade to the future Apple handset (English translation through Electronista)." is that it leaves a lot to be desired in the credibility department.

Also, even if true, there's no guarantee that was Orange does in France will be mirrored by AT&T.

6. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen in the States.

I can't even think of any event in the past that has mirrored this even. ATT and Apple would lose too much here to do that as well.

Like was stated above the French market has nothing to do with the American market as far as these phones go. Just because a mobile company in France is offering a deal doesn't mean ATT is going to follow suit. ESPECIALLY when they know people are willing to fork over the cash for a new phone.

The only reason Orange might be doing this in France is because the iPhone recently was released and they know a lot of people aren't going to shell out another load of cash for a new phone when they did the same less then a year ago.

7. iphone529 macrumors regular

sell sell sell

I was contemplating the same exact thing. I sold my 8gb on the bay this weekend. It sold for $500 with free shipping in the US "unlocked".

8. martinmartin macrumors 6502

geez, that's a lot.

i was offered $325 for my unlocked 8gb on craigslist.

my only hesitation is that there might be some 'upgrade' path with ATT...though i really doubt this.

im thinking of selling now bc i know im going to get the 3G and im guessing that the market price of my iphone is going to go down after june 9th, regardless of the release date of the 3g.

9. berkleeboy210 macrumors 68000

I don't know about you guys, but I'm using the $300 Check the Government is Sending me for paying my Taxes.

And a Coincidence or not, I'll be getting the Check the week of June 9th based on the first 3 digits of my SSN.

I'm just debating when to put my iPhone for Sale.

I'm thinking June 1st as a 10 day, that way if Jobs announces it the 9th and says not shipping for a while I can take down and relist.

Good plan or not?