To sell or not to sell?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rufus247, Aug 5, 2010.

1. rufus247 macrumors member

I have a guy offering me $1800 for my 15" MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz i5, 500 GB HD, Hi-Res Screen. If I sell it, I am going to buy a 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 iMac for exactly $1,399 (I get the student discount and this weekend is tax free weekend in my state). I would also get a free iPod touch which I would then sell for roughly $150-175. With the extra cash, I would buy a used MacBook for portability. I am trying to figure out whether or not this is worthwhile. What do you think?

2. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

If you don't need powerhouse portability then yes. I am in a similar situation as you only my MBP is 3.5 years old. I just finished college and will be back home so I figured a more suitable upgrade would be an Imac since my MBP sits on my desk most of the time anyway. Whenever you need to do emails or go on the internet away from your house, thats what your iphone is 4 (ha... ha....).

Plus, that screen size will be a huge upgrade and much appreciated.

3. rufus247 thread starter macrumors member

I really appreciate your input. Ya, I generally keep my computer sitting on my desk. The only time I ever carry it with me is when I have a project in class, but this only happens like twice a semester. I think I'm going to sell it. Now I just have to wait for the guy to get back to me with a time to meet. Thanks for your help. The combo of your input and my friend's advice gave me that extra bit of confidence I needed. Much appreesh.

4. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

No problem. Going over your $ amounts again it seems like a deal you cant refuse and I am sure you'll be happy with your decision. Good Luck.

5. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

It seems like a good deal, you would get an iMac and a Macbook is pretty damn good and unless you needed the extra power from the pro would do just fine.

6. 7thMac macrumors 6502

With Macs, if the price looks right, it's usually a good idea to sell. Macs seem to hold their value better than other computers, and sometimes the cost to upgrade to something more recent, new or especially refurbished, turns out to be lower than expected.

7. rufus247 thread starter macrumors member

Just to close this thing up, I ended up selling the MacBook Pro last night for $1900. I my local store was sold out of all iMacs due to the tax free weekend, so I ordered one online. I got the 3.2 GHz iMac i3 for $1399 with student discount AND I didn't have to pay tax. I also got the free iPod Touch. This turned out pretty well for me, assuming the iMac doesn't get delivered in pieces.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If you're sacrificing power then you need to ask yourself whether or not you needed that power in the first place. People get fixated on over-buying because they think they need that power. Normally they don't. I don't see where you'd have anything to lose and I would do that myself.

9. miki66 macrumors 6502

miki66

yes, i think it's worthy. instead of one computer you'll be able to own 2 with one for portability. :) go for it

10. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Doesn't sounds like OP is sacrificing power at all (except with the MB). It sounds like the iMac is considerably more powerful than the MBP

11. rufus247 thread starter macrumors member

In addition to the 3.2GHz i3 iMac I ordered this past weekend, I was also able to find a 2.26GHz 13" MacBook Pro for $700. This means that with the $1900 I got for my i5 MacBook Pro, I was able to buy an iMac & MBP for $1399 + $700 for a total of $2099, tax free. Since I got a free iPod touch, I will sell that for $175 which means I will have effectively traded my i5 MacBook Pro for a brand new iMac and 13" MacBook Pro. This whole thing will have costed me $25. I got really really lucky.