To Sell or to Keep an iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by igw, Jun 16, 2008.

1. igw macrumors member

So starting in September, i'll be going to university and will probably need a laptop. I currently have a 17" iMac C2D with 2.16Ghz and cannot decide whether it would be a better idea to sell it and go for the MacBook Pro or to keep it and get a Macbook. I do not want to get a MacBook Air as it is just for show. Any advice ?

Thanks

2. aneftp macrumors 68040

I think you will probably only get around 500-700 for your used 17 inch iMac C2D. It depends how much use you have for it at college (dorm room, limited space). 17 inch iMac's are very out of flavor now that most people want 19-22 inch LCD monitors.

If you can sell it, I would apply the funds towards a new Macbook. Laptops will serve you much better in college (more mobility).

3. aneftp macrumors 68040

Edit: I forgot to mention, I really do not think you need a MacBook Pro unless you plan on doing video editing/photo editing/gaming (unless your parents have an unlimited budget)....Maybe consider a macbook pro if you get a good refurbished deal on the apple.com website.

4. keltorsori macrumors regular

Unless you're doing high-end editing on the go, keep the iMac and get a Macbook. You can get the current gen refurb for around $1099, which is a heck of a deal. Any heavy lifting you need done you can do on the iMac. Plus it's nice to have a stationary computer that can do heavy work while you're gone (I have my convert video/seed Koha torrents/etc). The Macbook Pro is nice, but unless you need the expresscard slot or the larger screen, it's probably overkill. Not to mention, a pound in weight, while not a lot on paper, is a LOT when you're carrying the thing around on your back all day.

My $0.02

5. igw thread starter macrumors member

I don't have a singular use for my computer. When I use iMovie and iDVD I go through the whole process of making as close to pro Movies as possible but I only do that occasionally. I do a lot of personal photo editing, etc. using iPhoto and have about 8000 photos. I also will have bootcamp with Vista to use flight sim either FS9 or FSX. Besides that I use the word processors, the internet and itunes the majority of the time.
    I like the MacBook Pro because it has the independent graphics card and the bigger screen. But I also like the idea of having both my iMac and a MacBook. But then again even though my 17" inch iMac was upgraded to 2.16Ghz that is an older processor, sort of.

So considering money and space are not an issue, the decision comes to whether I want/need, an iMac with a MacBook or just a MacBook Pro.