To Sell or to Wait? 3Gs

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Bdubb, Mar 31, 2010.

  1. Bdubb macrumors regular

    Bdubb

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2010
    #1
    Ok I am kind of at the cross roads here with the iPhone I have right now and need to make a decision quick:

    I spend 450 bucks CND on craigslist and bought me a used 3Gs.

    The reason I bought the 3Gs was b/c my 2g broke and I needed a new iphone. Since I was used to having a J.broken one, I bought it used and made sure it was still Jailbreakable (unlockable) etc. (basically I made sure it wasn't 3.1.3 with 5.12.01 base band.)

    Things have been pretty damn good so far with this phone, everything is in perfect working order JBroken on 3.1.2 untethered.

    I also just recently renewed my plan with Rogers (Canada) they gave me a nice phone plan with very reasonable pricing and a nice 2GB data/Month that I couldn't resist, but the bastards locked me in for three years!
    And now they are offering me a brand new 3Gs for 200 bucks, if I chose to buy it...( I have about 23 days left to take up on that offer)

    Now it's kinda obvious where I am getting at with this.
    the phone I bought second hand that I have now is clearly "used" it has some regular wear and tear on the body, even some minor scratches on the back, (screen is spotless)it has about 5.5 months of warranty left.

    My plan is to resell this baby ASAP (while it's still somewhat a hot commodity to the jailbroken 3Gs seeker) try to get my $450 dollars back at least and just buy a brand New (Unjailbreakable) 3.1.3 , 5.12.01 3Gs from Rogers for $200 and just be patient and wait till things change in the community.

    Why? because recently I had a change of heart, One reason is as we are approaching April (tomorrow) I have a hunch that within the next three weeks, the Mouse will prevail the Cat, The Hacking community will indeed have a solution for the 3.1.3 and all these frustrations with locked out 3.1.3 3Gs owners is soon going to be the thing of the past.

    Plus of course there are obvious benefits of buying a brand new phone that happens to be about 230 bucks cheaper than the one I have now that's been used and abused by a previous owner. Fresh 12 months Warranty is another big plus.

    Do I take my chances and go for this and wait a few weeks or... Do I just hold on to my last golden firmware of the mighty 3.1.2 (5.11.07) baseband forever?

    Thanks for reading this far, please give me your educated opinion and sound advice, much appreciate it .
     
  2. phrint macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2006
    Location:
    Ohio
    #2
    Sounds like a no brainer to me as long as you can live without the jailbreak for a while. There are untethered jailbreaks being developed right now so chances are the newer 3GS' will be able to be jailbroken when OS 4.0 comes out this summer. Turn the profit and get your new 3GS with Rogers.
     
  3. McGiord macrumors 601

    McGiord

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2003
    Location:
    Dark Castle
    #3
    Go ahead and get the $200 one now, make money out of it. Circuit City is selling factory unlocked iPhones for almost $1000!
    Once 4.0 is out there it will be easier for the hackers to have things in order, and make the 3GS easily unlockable. My thought is that :apple: will benefit in certain way to have the people getting rid of the 3GS and getting new models this summer, and to have them unlocked is a good way to make them attractive for certain people .
     
  4. Bdubb thread starter macrumors regular

    Bdubb

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2010

Share This Page