To Shield or NOT to Shield .. ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mike000, Apr 22, 2008.

1. mike000 macrumors member

Hi everyone,

Im getting kind of hesitant on whether or not i should place an invisible shield on my MacBook Air. I usually carry it in a sleeve.

I just want to know before taking a step into turning my MBA's appearance glossy.

What would you do?

2. AstroHouse macrumors member

Mike000, I had the same angst as you. I bit the bullet and installed IS several weeks ago and have been happy ever since. I carry mine in a sleeve to and from the house but I move it a lot when at home and it is "grippier" now and it does look nice. No regrets here.

Good luck.

3. SKINSnCANES macrumors newbie

I bought the speak clear hard case. I love it. I feel more secure with that then the invisible shield. I toss my laptop around a lot since its so light. i fele more comfortable with it.

4. wordy macrumors regular

wordy

Would you be so kind as to post some pics of what it looks like with the IS on? Yes, I realize it's "invisible" ;) but I'm most interested in the finish (how glossy it is) and the the fit (does it go around the tapered edges?)

I'm not a case person because I loathe extra bulk. I realize that firstly, scratches don't affect performance and secondly, that by the time this thing is scratched beyond recognition, it'll likely be time to buy something new anyhow - but if the IS can protect decently with almost 0 added bulk I'd certainly consider it.

Thanks in advance!

5. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Just opened the box and fired up my new macbook pro, and it occured to me that I had no idea what products were out there to keep it looking good, especially where the palms rest, and the external surface when transporting it around. Would the invisible shield also apply to the macbook pro?

6. wordy macrumors regular

wordy

15"
    17"

7. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

8. bluetooth101 macrumors newbie

I liked mine naked...at least it look sexy,expose, topless and bottomless all the time. I just drool on my MBA everyday! :D

9. aveda6 macrumors newbie

Mike, I had the same debate when I first purchased the Air. I used to have a Macbook (white) and had installed the invisibleshield and it worked well. I decided to purchase one after the Air slipped through my fingers one day. The IS went on okay, there were a few bubbles but a week later and they were all gone. The major difference for me is the tackiness that IS provides. I carry my Air all over and greatly appreciate the extra grip that is provided by invisibleshield. It does make the entire Air glossy so you have to decide if that matters. For me, it wasn't an issue. I do like the fact that if I mess it up i can remove the damaged part and send it back for a free replacement.

jim

10. mykoljay macrumors member

If you have a sleeve, you should be alright without it.

I personally do not have, nor want a sleeve, so I love having the skin (and can put the mba in my work bag or backpack.

11. jarpod macrumors member

I have a Sleeve and bought IS and im VERY HAPPY about it.... my mbpro also has it.... AWESOME PRODUCT
    GO FOR IT!
    PERIOD!

12. Skystar macrumors 6502

13. silentio macrumors newbie

I have not tried it personally, but as far as I know, it is exactly the same as the IS. They use the same 3M material. The business, for these companies, is being able to cut the material into pieces that we can stick on our stuff.

14. BryanLyle macrumors 6502a

BryanLyle

I use a Best Skin on my MBA. Works and fits perfectly. I have used Best Skins on my iPods and iPhone. Never had a problem.

15. Tensakun macrumors 6502

Tensakun

Both companies' web sites look legit and impressive. Wonder what accounts for the price diff...

Anyway, do these skins have any effect on the MBA's infamous cooling problems?

16. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Not really sure about price difference but the IS touts their warranty and I didn't see anything about skins having one.

On the cooling heating issue: Good question. I chose to only do my top and wrist area due to that exact issue. Not sure if it would be a problem but it has to insulate somewhat since it takes the direct air contact away from the aluminum.

17. jarpod macrumors member

First off, the invisible shield IS NOT a 3m material.... I kinda decided not to put the trackpad protection on my air, and messed around with this little piece for a while and this stuff is UNBREAKABLE! Its an awesome thing!!! hence, the price difference! plus, Ive tried that 3m material before and it just looses it over time!!! you have a lifetime warranty with iS
    I guess that it is true what they say: You get what you pay for!

18. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

No

I'm not a big laptop case guy(one to carry, but not when its in use)

Plus, it makes it look ugly IMO

19. Skystar macrumors 6502

For everyone who's put one of these shields on their MBA, how does it feel getting liquid on your MBA? I should be getting my shield in today or tomorrow, but I'm afraid of spraying the fluid on the MBA. :eek:

20. jarpod macrumors member

the trick on getting these things on is to USE A LOT OF LIQUID.... I used scotch tape for covering the vent holes and started spraying the thing on my IS
    my laptop is AWESOME! and not a single bubble!!! go ahead!!! USE your liquid!!!
    :D
    (just be careful!!!)

21. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

I've used both and they are exactly the same. If they are not the same material, they are close enough that most will not notice a difference. The price difference is in the packaging. IS gives you a spray bottle whereas bse gives you instructions on how to make your own (drop of liquid soap in water). IS used to be pretty good with there lifetime guarantee, but after Zagg (a publicly traded company) took over the customer support went downhill.

22. wordy macrumors regular

wordy

The IS material is supposed to make the Air easier to hold. Do you know if the texture of both is the same?

23. mike000 thread starter macrumors member

This is in italian, but the guy has the invisible shield on his macbookair, i wont mind having it on the top and bottom, not sure about the trackpad though.

check out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFy-ToxiWsw

24. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

wow i don't know about you guys, but i like the way it looks with the shield on. i don't think i'll be putting it on the trackpad either, but how prone is the mba trackpad to getting dirty compared to the normal mb?

25. wordy macrumors regular

wordy

Looks like a pretty smooth application too. I wonder how hard that is to accomplish?