to shine or not to shine?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gelatin, Apr 25, 2007.

?

screen preference

1. glossy

39.3%
  2. matte

60.7%
  1. gelatin macrumors 6502

which screen do you prefer and why?
    also why do they have to do the macbook pros in aluminium? i like the look of the macbook plastic

2. Jebaloo macrumors 6502

I bought a MacBook, an it automatically comes with the g;pssy screen. Personally, I hate it. I always get annoying reflections, and working outside is a no no because any durrounding reflections cause your screen to be, well, unreadable. In my opinion, the glossy doesn't improve the colour that much, and is much easier to smudge (although you can't see the smudges unless you look at an angle, I don't like the idea of them being there), and basically the matte screen was fine, so why change it.
    However there are plenty of folk that love the gloss, just not me.

3. rafg macrumors newbie

Cons about gloss - Horrible Viewing angles
    - Reflections

Pros - Looks Brighter
    - Colors seem to pop out more
    - looks bad ass

4. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

To OP: unless you like staring at yourself while watching Shaun of the Dead, stay away from gloss. Mirrors don't make good working environments either.
    To Moderator: This topic should be a fixed sub-thread/poll

5. Kballar2 macrumors newbie

Kballar2

depends on what you use it for

the colors definitely pop better on the glossy screen so if you are into pictures and video it is definitely good for that. On the other hand if you intent to spend hours at a time working on your macbook without using an extrenal display there is one minor setback.... After a few hours of staring at a gloss screen it starts to feel like your eyeballs are being torn out of your skull. Go with the matte if you are a workaholic!

6. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

this has been covered so much, we should almost make a glossy vs matte forum for it.

plastic is for durability, for students who just put their MacBook in their bag and go.
    Metal is for appearance, for those who don't really move their stuff around too much, who like the more professional look.

7. Jarcrew macrumors 6502

Jarcrew

Black plastic and a glossy screen - my MacBook is literally my perfect machine.

8. Tadros86 macrumors 6502

Tadros86

That makes no sense . . . laptops are made to be moved around? :p

9. rafg macrumors newbie

A. they are not laptops they are notebooks
    B. macbooks are the more portable of the 2, smaller, lighter, more battery life

10. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

I honestly prefer the Matte screen. I wish there was one for the Macbooks, but ah well... Im going to be getting a MBP at a later date, most likely a refurb too.

11. Tadros86 macrumors 6502

Tadros86

A. Notebooks are Laptops

The MacBook Pro 15"
    Type: Laptop
    Developer: Apple Inc.
    Released: February 14, 2006
    Processor(s): 2.16 / 2.33 GHz 64-bit Intel Core 2 Duo
    Base Price: USD$1999 (as of April 22, 2007)

B. All Laptops or "notebooks" are portable. My friend has a 17' inch PBG4 and takes it everywhere.

12. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

They say "notebook computers" because laptops aren't necessarily supposed to be placed in your lap (naturally, that's where the nickname for notebook computers came from) Heat of that nature (especially from the Core Duo) can be bad for your ju ju beans. :cool:

13. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I would hesitate to say that after seeing all the issues with MacBooks cracking and staining, etc..

14. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

I love the glossy screen, never bothers me at all. Apart from when the screen is off and I can see all of the smudge marks *shudders*.

15. RojoLeo macrumors 6502

Most of us probably would have just said "nah, they get too hot" or "it's a litigation concern because they can get sued by some nut who leave his computer on his legs too long and burns himself" or even "Macs are too damn hot, you shouldn't put them on your legs!" but no, not you. You chose ju ju beans. And for that, I thank you.

Yes, heat = bad for your ju ju beans. Well said. ;)