Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Both Apple and MS should just stop it with the adverts. With the exception of the dancing iPod silhouettes, all of Apple's and Microsoft's adverts have been poor.

I did like I'm a mac, but it was over done. It was cute for a little while (keyword little) but it got tired and over used quite quickly.

Heilage

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2009
I don't think neither Microsoft nor Apple are good at ads.

Like maflynn said, the I'm a Mac ads were funny the first few times, then grew very old. And I've always hated the iPhone and iPad ads.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

roadbloc said:
Both Apple and MS should just stop it with the adverts. With the exception of the dancing iPod silhouettes, all of Apple's and Microsoft's adverts have been poor.

But isn't Apple supposed to be great at marketing? That all they're about is marketing? Ads are a major part of marketing. :confused:

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
I like the line "One click, and you're online".

Basically screw any security features, passwords etc. Just click 'here' for internet.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
I don't think neither Microsoft nor Apple are good at ads.

Like maflynn said, the I'm a Mac ads were funny the first few times, then grew very old. And I've always hated the iPhone and iPad ads.

The Apple videos featuring the engineers and Jonny Ives in particular are simply ramming it down our throats. Jonny Ive in particular comes across like he's talking a load of BS and the hand gestures are just way over the top. They try and philosophise about why they did something in a particular way. Guys... its a friggin' computer, get over it.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
The Apple videos featuring the engineers and Jonny Ives in particular are simply ramming it down our throats. Jonny Ive in particular comes across like he's talking a load of BS and the hand gestures are just way over the top. They try and philosophise about why they did something in a particular way. Guys... its a friggin' computer, get over it.

Tell them to "get over" their products that are worth billions.

I'd bring out a talking bear and a pink elephant if I had to.

Last edited:

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
But isn't Apple supposed to be great at marketing? That all they're about is marketing? Ads are a major part of marketing. :confused:

Apple may be good at marketing (although I have yet to see evidence of this from where I'm at), but that doesn't mean their adverts are any good. The Mac vs PC ones I don't think were even broadcast in the UK (or I missed them all), the dancing iPod guys were good, but the recent iPhone and iPad ads have been smug or dull or both. Maybe it is just me.

Stating that Apple is good at marketing does not suddenly make their current adverts any more enjoyable. Sorry.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Apple may be good at marketing (although I have yet to see evidence of this from where I'm at), but that doesn't mean their adverts are any good. The Mac vs PC ones I don't think were even broadcast in the UK (or I missed them all), the dancing iPod guys were good, but the recent iPhone and iPad ads have been smug or dull or both. Maybe it is just me.

Stating that Apple is good at marketing does not suddenly make their current adverts any more enjoyable. Sorry.

Well how about this one?

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1172347/

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
these current commercials are marginally better than the "to the cloud" ones that they had for awhile there, but i still find them annoying.

mainly because they all seem so forced and fake, but are trying to appear like reality.

Heilage

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2009

Oh God, yes. I want to punch Ive in the face every time I see one of those.

StvenH90

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2011
Florida
I thought the Mac Vs Windows ads, were great. As in it both explained the product vs competition and at the same time some comedy.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
I thought the Mac Vs Windows ads, were great. As in it both explained the product vs competition and at the same time some comedy.

Of course they were great. They won awards. That loveable duo became a household fixture. Everyone knows this, but some hate to admit to it, for whatever reason.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
Do you wanna know what I hate most about these types of Ads?

OMG, there's a new shiny thingy in my house. Was totally not expecting that. What a wonderful suprise! All these strange people in my house, they're so friendly. These products are superb! Buy from us, our product is really quite good, you'll see. What are we advertising? We don't even know, you decide.

This is low, even for something aimed at the american general public. /Compulsory racism.
A couple years ago there was a makeup company ad with a similar sort of thing, hated it then too.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
These ad's aren't too patronising (like the Apple ones) and they are pretty good.

The WORST advert in the world is Apple's "If you don't have a iPhone, you don't have a iPhone" .... WOW REALLY?! jeez they are so slimy and uugh like the PC/Mac advertisements.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
These ad's aren't too patronising (like the Apple ones) and they are pretty good.

The WORST advert in the world is Apple's "If you don't have a iPhone, you don't have a iPhone" .... WOW REALLY?! jeez they are so slimy and uugh like the PC/Mac advertisements.

Apple's ads work. The market they're aimed at tends to respond by handing Apple record sales.

The Get a Mac ads were similarly successful. They won awards. They were an example of how ads *should* be done.

You don't even need any marketing background to understand this.

TheSideshow

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2011
Its an okay commercial. It kind of tells a story of "Even though you dont need it, we have some cool stuff you need to buy" which isnt my favorite way of advertising. Apple does it much more subliminally.

Apple advertising has always made me mad, but has always been very effective. From their Mac vs PC to the new iPad/iPhone ads. They reek of smugness. (Especially the "If you dont have an iPhone ad")

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.