To someone who knows everything about Mac.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thecharlesmoore, Mar 6, 2011.

1. thecharlesmoore macrumors member

i have an external drive with ALL my music/tv shows/movies exc. Well I just double click the media and it automatically shows up in iTunes. Will it stay there? because I plan to use the external dive with Time Machine (which would have Time Machine erase everything on the drive). Will my media stay in iTunes and no longer on the drive?

2. ddoolin0 macrumors regular

Just a thought, but if you have "Let iTunes keep my media organized," then yes, it theoretically will still be there.

Having that checked means iTunes keeps a copy of everything that is ever played through it. If you've never played it through iTunes, though, it won't make it.

3. h00ligan macrumors 68030

That's actually not right. It will copy it to the local drive. If you want to keep it on an external, you have to redirect the library if you are allowing it to manage... or don't allow it to manage, then drag it in - for itunes.

4. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

if you have enough space on your exeternal drive your itunes will still stay there and it will add a time machine backup folder in on the drive.

5. skidmarc macrumors member

Then you run into a problem when TimeMachine occupies all the free space on the drive, starts dumping old back-ups and leaves the user with no room for additions to the iTunes folder/library (I will soon have this problem on my NAS, hind-sight is 20/20).

OP, you should back-up your iTunes library to your local HDD, partition the HDD you intend to use for TimeMachine. One partition for you current/future iTunes library and one for TimeMachine, so long as you HDD is large enough. Once completed transfer you iTunes library to the new partition and begin your TimeMachine backups and you should be fine.

Just make sure you leave enough room in the iTunes partition for future additions and make sure that the TimeMachine partition is larger than you machine's HDD in order to perform a complete backup.