To Speck Case or not to Speck Case

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacMom4, Mar 21, 2011.

1. MacMom4 macrumors newbie

I've had an IMac and just bought a Macbook Pro. Several family members have suggested I just use a neoprene case to protect it and several friends have suggested I purchase a Speck case (though I've heard they can be difficult to get off and can scratch the Macbook if not taken off regularly to dust underneath)... with 4 kiddos it's a real question, though albeit, can't believe I'm asking it. Thoughts out there? "To Speck Case or Not to Speck Case?":)

2. Peterpot macrumors member

Peterpot

If they're little kickers I'd recommend the speck case, since it will protect the cumputer even while it is outside of the neoprene case. If they are teens older I would recommend a neoprene case, or even just a clear skin such as wrapsol.

Another thing I would suggest is a keyboard protector (I've had the Moshi and the iTouch and I enjoy the Moshi ALOT more) since it will help protect the computer from crumbs and spills.

It's funny to think that when I was a kid all we had was a radio. Nowadays kids can stream their favorite television shows on laptops or handheld devices while ordering ice cream online

3. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

TBH, I'm a young teenager and I have an MBP. I've never put it in a case, only a hard one when travelling. Even my 10 year old brother uses it, and, as long as you make sure it's always clean, there isn't much reason to fork out the extra £$£ for a case IMHO. I have a full body protector on my iP4, but that's because it goes with me everywhere. My MBP is basically my desktop.

That being said, I wouldn't mind a Speck case...

4. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

5. josh1231 macrumors regular

My wife uses one for hers, and it is 1.5 years old and the laptop case looks perfect, while the hard shell case looks like someone tossed it off a cliff. I would reccomend it for sure.

6. xdbuix macrumors 6502

I have the speck for my new mbp. It keeps the mbp in perfect shape. However, at some angles the hinge will not be able to hold the extra weight. Its a big con for me cuz i use my mbp while i'm laying down and the hinge isnt strong enoguh to hold the speck case. WIth the speck case off, the hinge works fine.

7. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    I have a red speck case for my 2010 13'. I purchased the case after I accidentally had my macbook slip from my lap, ricochet off the side of the radiator, then flip upside down onto the floor (thankfully carpeted). Two small chips were taken out of the palm rest area, and there is a dent in the side of the screen. But hey, good thing aluminum is tough. :cool:

Anyway, now the speck case can take my abuse I give my macbook. :D
    Oh, the red is nice too, and the apple logo still shines through.

8. 19abby macrumors newbie

9. randomrazr macrumors 65816

10. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

thanks random razer for that vid. Since youtube comments are down, here's what I typed.

good video homie, MR brought me here. Still debating on a shell or just get a wrapsol. I had a zagg before on my 13" and liked it a lot. FIgure on a 15" it's a bit more big and expensive, which could get dinged around a bit easier on transport. Hmmm

11. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Speck cases work great and are not hard to take off and put back on :cool:

12. FusionZ06 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Go with the incipio feather.

13. aimeeinohio macrumors regular

aimeeinohio

Oooh, I like those. But does your apple shine through it? :D

14. skier777 macrumors 6502

I vote neoprene as it has a bit of shock absorbance to it. If its in a backpack that gets dropped or gets dropped itself, the neoprene absorbs some of the shock and makes it far less likely to get bent up. I cannot comment on the capabilities of speck cases to do the same.

15. kato10 macrumors newbie

I like you was going back and forth about the same thing. I decided to go ahead and buy one and give it a try. The worst that would happen is that I would have to return it. I bought the clear glossy Speck hardshell case and I really like it. It gives my MacBook a nice glossy appearance while still holding the aluminum color.

16. Jmouse macrumors 6502

Incase has matt black hard case, ive chosen the incase over the spek simply because i feel better quality.

17. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

exactly what I have and it is better feeling to me and made a lot better

18. babyt macrumors regular

babyt

Ive got 2 speck pink hard-shell and one speck black satin (apple messed up my order. and got 2 free)
    I love them both. They're not too hard to take off and they are easy to clean. I personally don't like the incase.
    None the less if you order either go to
    Www.retailmenot.com
    And type in the name of speck or incase and they typically have good redemption/online coupons for both :)

19. jdaniel macrumors 65816

speck satin black is great.. problem is the tabs that keep them on.. are small thin and can break if you are not careful. But I open it only once every few months to clean..

If you are rough while taking it out.. you are going to be real pissed with yourself, but yeah if careful and bought at a good price, its good value.

20. Akoiso macrumors newbie

a question about these hard shell cases.

I've heard that with either the speck or incase your angel on how far to put the screen back in limited to about 90*?

21. bigjobby macrumors 65816

That's not the case with my Speck and 15" MBP where the lid can open to about 135°.

22. widestload macrumors 6502

widestload

And If you check out the video above (as well as various reviews I've read as I'm picking up the Incase tomorrow) the incase one will open well past 90 degrees too

23. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

24. SirStrumalot macrumors 6502

I was actually contemplating this myself... I did some research and found some pictures posted where over time these cases lead to pits on the aluminum casing which kind of steered me off for a while.

It also sounds like a hassle to have to remove it and clean it every so often so I decided not to skin it for now.

25. macmikey2 macrumors regular

macmikey2

I have had a Speck on mine since my first MBP 2.0GHz. I gave my latest to step daughter (she spills stuff on it and drops it ALOT and hopefully she will take care of this one).

I like the Speck as it easy to remove and I just kept a monthly 'take it off and wipe everything down' schedule.

No scratches, scuffs, nothing.

Only issue I had was when I switched to a Unibody Mid 2010, the Magsafe plug is a longer cylinder as opposed to the rectangle. The case tab in that corner gets in the way of that longer plug and sometimes can cause it to not connect or even fall out. If no cords attached, I just reversed it.