To SSD or not to SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Matutu, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Matutu macrumors member

Hey Guys,

Im looking at getting a new 15" MBP 2.66 I7, and im getting abit torn between SSD or not as i currently love the SSD on my MAC Air.

Now to get the Apple 512Mb SSD its some major cash, and im not sure how its performance measures to others. So i thought is it worth getting the standard drive then upgrading myself to a SSD?

If so what model are people currently upgrading to? and are you noticing the speed/battery life/noise changes?

Thanks alot guys

Matthew

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

What capacity do you need/want? I recommend SandForce based SSD so OWC or OCZ Vertex 2 for example

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I would always recommend the OCZ Vertex 2 - that thing shifts!

4. Matutu thread starter macrumors member

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

You must have some serious money available. Can you not use an external HDD to store large files?

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

7. bamf macrumors 6502

8. spacedesign911 macrumors regular

To the orignal poster, I had the same issue recently, I bought an i7 17" matt, with the regular drive, then went to buy a 512 ssd for self install, the OWC one linked above is the one I wanted, can I say OWC have not yet shipped a 480 or 512 SSD yet, they cant get them, there is a major global shortage of ssd at this size, I ordered a 240 from them but it was not big enough again I put my photos and music on board I was running out of room, so when I had a trackpad issue and apple offered to swap out, I went with the apple 512 ssd in the replacement.

Bench marks are, owc 240 ssd was doing 220 mb per sec, starts in 19 sec
    apple 512 ssd does 180 mb per sec, starts in 21 sec

I cant tell the difference in speed to be honest, both are EPIC

I do however prefare having the apple ssd in there as I've had unfortunate need for a swap of the macbook pro since, for fan noice. I'm on my 3rd now and its funny how different each one is.

1st had a major click noice from the trackpad that would wake the wife.
    2nd had fan noise issues and a back that clicked.
    3rd is fine!

After all that I'm very happy to have the apple drive in there. Also worth considering is that was never going to be cheaper buying, shipping and putting in the other drive in myself, the apple 512 ssd drive is the cheapest, for me in Ireland anyway. I had to pay tax on import of the OWC drive, they waived the 15% restock fee when I returned it, because they had not got the 480s available to ship, OWC are as good as Apple for customer care. So I got hot for shipping both ways on the OWC drive. Seriously life will just be easier buying the apple ssd, and it will be covered for 3 years if you buy apple care. Win Win Win!

Hope this helps, your right to ask spending 1 grand is a hard decision.

Let me know how it works out.

3rd