To SSD or not to SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by striker833, Jul 22, 2011.

1. striker833 macrumors newbie

Hey guys Im new here so hello! :)

I was looking for advice on whether to put an SSD in the MBP which I am going to be ordering in next few days for uni

I have an SSD in my desktop so I know how much of an incredible performance difference there is but in my desktop I run two HDD's the ssd for OS and some other files and the bulk of my stuff goes into my second 1TB HDD

So here is my dilemma I would like an SSD in my MBP but im worried about space on the drive

Does anyone else have a similar issue and if you did/do what are your thoughts/what did you do?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

We who have SSDs all have to deal with the smaller drive sizes.

I added a second drive with the optibay (removing the optical drive) to get around the smaller drive issue.

You can also use external drives to hold your data as well.

3. xpower180 macrumors regular

xpower180

I have just swapped out my hdd for an 80gb ssd (probably one of the smallest drives you'll read about on here), this holds the os and applications only. Everything else is held on two 1tb external USB drives, this setup works perfectly for my needs at this time.

4. Philflow macrumors 65816

I went with Seagate's hybrid drive. For about $100 500GB of storage and SSD like speeds for booting and launching my most used applications.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMldqf5oUZw

5. striker833 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was actually thinking about that, Is it as good as they say or is it only certain things that are faster?

6. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

An SSD is still going to be the fastest drive, I'm using 158gb between Lion and windows 7. So with a 256gb SSD I still get a lot of headroom.

7. Liquinn Suspended

I'm thinking on getting a 64GB/128gb SSD, is that ok? ;D

8. striker833 thread starter macrumors newbie

All SSD's are fine as long as you are not gonna be storing a media library or something on them

9. Philflow macrumors 65816

If you use a limited amount of applications, like shown in the video, the boot times and application launch times are nearly the same as an SSD.

If you use more, larger applications the 4GB SSD can become too small, then it will perform more like a regular 7200rpm hard drive.

This review does a pretty good job of showing the real world performance of a 500GB XT: http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=6071&p=2

10. riptideMBP macrumors 6502

The drive is actually designed so that only the most used files are on the ssd. That is: somehow the hardware keeps track of what is accessed and allows the 4GB of most accessed data to be in flash memory, all completely independent of the operating system

11. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Going to get a 128GB SSD. I also plan on getting a 1TB external. Perfect setup.