To SSD Or Not....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by amjustice, Apr 13, 2010.

1. amjustice macrumors 6502

amjustice

So the price has come down and I am seriously considering going with the 256GB SSD in my new 17"MBP.

My hesitation comes at the fact that Apple hasnt used the best SSD manufacturers in the past.

So question is, whos drives do you think these are? Do you think they are worth the price?

Is this worth doing without built in Trim support?

If I dont do SSD now I may put one in myself 6-9 months down the road. I figure the i7 will be enough of a shot to keep me happy for the immediate future.

Help me out here MR!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

AFAIK Apple uses Toshiba which ain't the best one so buy it from 3rd party, you get faster one for cheaper

3. amjustice thread starter macrumors 6502

amjustice

any more thoughts? If I went 3rd party who should I get?

4. fm2503 macrumors member

fm2503

I got a Crucial 256GB C300 last week for my 2.4GHz UMBP and it is smokingly fast (even though there's no SATA3 in this) - mind you it isn't exactly cheap either.

5. Brianmj macrumors newbie

It's too early to speculate. We need to wait a day or two for early adopters to report the full specs of the new MBPs. Apple usually leaves out model number and information for the HD/SSD. I believe for the SSDs in the older MBPs they were using a Samsung controller which weren't very good http://www.anandtech.com/show/2829/19. I really do hope Apple has gone with another controller maker such as Indilinx or Sanforce. Intel would be a good choice too, but it's obvious Apple isn't using them as Intel doesn't make SSDs in 128 GB variety.

Just have to wait and see I guess.

6. amjustice thread starter macrumors 6502

amjustice

I am leaning towards not getting it, do you think if I called Apples 1800 number they could tell me what kind of SSD it is?

7. Kingcodez macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

Apple SSDs suck, their really old models. With the refresh there's a 512GB one, that might be newer but it's probably some lackluster samsung with the same old controller.

Just install one your self.
    Go with an Intel G2 160GB, or if you really need 256 then find a big name brand like crucial or OCZ and research on Newegg.

Isn't Indilinx and SF OCZ only?
    I highly doubt Apple would EVER go with OCZ drives, I love OCZ but I still see them as not super reliable. Apple only goes with companies that have been supersupersuper reliable since 1984. Samsung and Toshiba. Maby Hitachi.
    The only thing Sammy is going to do is double the capacity and leave the old controller, that by the way, works perfectly, with no real problems.

It's just old and slow. BUT it's reliable, and that what Apple likes. Because it's so reliable it means that people will pay $200+ more.

Easy.

8. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502a

anyone that asks if they should get an SSD i always tell them yes.

but dont get the apple one. buy an intel or an ocz. you will get better performance and it will be cheaper.

9. amjustice thread starter macrumors 6502

amjustice

Thanks for the tips guys, I think I will order without the SSD and get it sometime down the road. I think the i7 and 8GB of memory will hold me over for at least 6 months, then SSD will be like a whole new machine all over again

10. jazzspot macrumors newbie

How difficult is it to swap out a stock HD for the SSD in the MBP models?

11. Brianmj macrumors newbie

No. I just conversed with a Apple chat rep and he said the controller maker isn't "public information." That's ridiculous as it becomes public the moment people post specs from their machine after looking at the system information.

12. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Very easy to do yourself. There are videos and tutorials out there. Just make sure that you have the right size Phillips head screwdriver.

13. amjustice thread starter macrumors 6502

amjustice

But would anyone on these forms actually buy an SSD from apple, probably not. So how would we ever find out.

Good to know, I may go optibay down the road, the idea of keeping the initial HD and adding an SSD for the OS and apps is very tempting

14. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

im trying to decide whether or not to get the ssd .. i really just want a 256gb ssd and not have to worrying about swapping etc .. i was really hoping for a MBA update .. but i think i will end up getting the 15inch i7

15. PinkLuxe macrumors member

Good information guys, thanks. Are the SSDs Apple uses really so awful that you just shouldn't get one at all vs. getting just a regular HDD when ordering? I plan to purchase an Intel SSD in the future, but curious if its better to not even the SSD option when I order my laptop?

16. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

after going back and forth so many times i decided to save the money and just get the 500gb 7200rpm for now .. i can add a ssd down the road .. i was so close to buying the 128gb ssd but i guess i can pick up the intel one

17. psingh01 macrumors 65816

The prices for the 512GB SSD look very competitive with what newegg has for that size. Still might be too steep for me. I don't think I could deal with a smaller size drive.

18. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

i dont really use my laptop to store much .. i use my mac pro for that .. i was really considering the 128gb ssd but i didnt get it

19. gagaliya macrumors 6502

why does everyone think apple's ssd option is more expensive? for a 15" mbp:

$50 to upgrade to 7200rpm
    $200 to upgrade to a 120GB ssd

so really it's only $150 to upgrade, while it cost ~$300 if you buy it from newegg (intel brand cost even more).

So it's actually much cheaper not expensive to buy from apple upgrade, the real question is what kind of ssd it is using..if it's the new generation ssd. Guess we will have to wait for the reports (hopefully not a crappy toshiba, but given apple's obsession with power consumption very likely...).

20. Cycom macrumors 6502

Cycom

fixed.

21. undercompensate macrumors member

seconding intel

using an intel g2 myself and haven't had any regrets.

22. thewizzy macrumors member

What do you guys mean when you say install a SSD yourselves? Is it external or you have to take apart the laptop?

23. Lyshen macrumors 6502

The latter of what you said, take apart the laptop and install it oneself.

I've already done it on mine that I just bought earlier today, 15" i7 model and put C300 256GB in. Noticeably snappier, now to finish installing updates, apps and configure it.

(I bought the SSD about 3 weeks ago when it was on sale.)

24. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

Are they really that reliable? (more reliable than other SSDs?)
    Are there any comparisons between the SSDs Apple provides in their MBPs and the high-end SSDs that are out there? How much faster will Apple's SSDs be compared to Apple's HDDs and how much slower will Apple's SSDs be compared to 3rd party SSDs?

Also, as soon as anyone owns a new i5 or i7 MBP with Apple SSD, could you please post info on whether the new MBPs are using the same SSDs as before? :)