To Sticker or Not to Sticker...?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by sumone, Aug 27, 2011.

1. sumone macrumors regular

I have a late 2006 white macbook and since I got the macbook I really wanted to put stickers on it. However, I did not do this because I thought it would tarnish the system and it was still new at the time. I have since upgraded to a 2011 MBP and i'm not entirely sure what I want to do with the 2006 Macbook. I still use it for some things but it's no longer a necessity in my life. Since I still use it from time to time I think it would be cool to put stickers on it since I certainly won't do this to the MBP, although the MBP does have a decal. However, I fear that if I do change my mind and try to sale it in the next few months the stickers may depreciate any value that the computer still has.

So, I know this is a dumb question but would you sticker your white macbook?

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

No ;)

3. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Go the extra mile and do what I did with my new Air, get a nice sharp knife and carve your name into the top! Then if you lose it, people know who to bring it to

4. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

If the MacBook is kinda beat and distressed looking, sure, sticker that puppy! Never to a nice MacBook....

5. PirateD macrumors newbie

Vinyl stickers shoudln't leave any residue, so no one should be the wiser.

6. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

if you want to sell the make later don't put stickers.

7. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Sticker residue can be easily removed with lighter fluid. However, I am not responsible for the eventual plastic degradation that could occur (I am not implying there will be some degradation, just be sure to test it before, hydrocarbons and plastics don't always mix well.) ;)

8. j0shimself macrumors newbie

j0shimself

Goo gone is the best to remove sticker residue. I used it on several things and never damaged any surfaces. I used it on a vehicle as well and didn't tarnish the paint or discolor it. I say do it!

9. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

If you want to, go ahead. Like others said, if it leaves residue, you can use Goo Gone or just rub it off with your thumb (which takes forever).

10. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Depends on what you want. If you won't use it that much, but would like to try it out, go for it.

If you don't think that the visual appeal is worth it, don't bother with it.

I wouldn't ever put a sticker on my computer, but that's just me.

11. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Are you going to sell the computer sometime (like ever)? If not, sticker away!

12. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Do not sticker. Instead, apply Apple stickers that came with the laptop to everything else.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There are some really fantastic decals out there. I'm blown away by the quality, detail and imagination of these folks who think it up. Given that my laptop is sitting on my desk with the lid open 80% of the time gives me pause to purchase any. Why buy a decal when I'll not see it most of the time.

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I say do what you want. I would stick with vinyl stickers myself but that's just me. Resale value is never affected if you remove the stickers prior to sale. removed correctly, no one would ever know they were there.

15. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

THIS. I used to stick Apple stickers on my wife's car. It was pretty cute until some guy scribbled on the white part of the Apple sticker "CRAZY FAN", that we decided to peel it off :eek:

16. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

This is my view as well.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

18. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I bought a vinyl decal from etsy.com for my MBP. They have some really awesome designs on that website. I got one that looks like stormtroopers :) I think it looks great and it'll peel right off if I don't want it any more. I say do it.