To swap or not to swap?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleGoat, Feb 25, 2011.

1. AppleGoat, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011

AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

For the past 5 months, since I've bought my 2010 13" MBP, I've wrestled with a C2D insecurity -- it's like some dude with underdeveloped nether regions. Well, maybe not, but I knew keenly that the next refresh would bring with it significant CPU increases. But, honestly not quite THIS significant. My expectations were that the 13" would stop over at Arrandale for one iteration, while Apple was slow to adopt Sandy Bridge. Not the case. I'm not one who chases new technology, but I do strive to avoid buying the last generation of something before a major upgrade. I knew it was horizon but I caved at the end of last September. My Powerbook G4 was slow and incompatible with much, and I wanted to invest more in my career in graphic design and web development.

Unless I could dupe some prospective Macbook owner, who just awoke from under a rock, into buying my Macbook Pro for at most 100 dollars less than it would cost me to buy the new base 13" with a student/faculty discount, I don't know if I could swing it. Many have said that one benefits more from a HD and Memory upgrade, and I have pondered exactly how the CPU factors in my daily life, b/c most hypothetical tasks are either hard drive or memory-intensive, at least for the average user.

A greater concern, and I know this distinctly from owning a PowerPc equipped notebook, is that eventually Apple and Mac developers will drop support for the C2D. Yes, I know the MBAs (and White Macbook: I thought you were retiring?) are still be shipped with C2Ds, but that doesn't mean that Apple will continue to support them a year after they stop selling them. Instead of "Well, supporting the Core2Duos will lead to greater software sales" they may say "Well, stopping support for the Core2Duos will lead to greater computer sales." The C2D should be around longer, but it's frustrating being stuck with this aging chip architecture, which was old when I bought it, and the reason for which I had held off purchasing the 13" right away back in the Spring of '10. I guess my biggest concern is that the computer is great right now, but will it be in a year, in 2 years? That is, once developers exploit the power of multi-threading processors?

I'm probably not going to sell my computer, but any words of advice, or methods by which I could foist it on someone while taking at most a 100 dollar hit?

2. sbddude macrumors 6502a

I you have $100 to spend towards an upgrade, I suggest a SSD upgrade. Unless you do really CPU-intensive tasks (video encoding, etc), I think the SSD will give a greater performance increase.

I speak from experience too. My work laptop runs windows 7 with 6GB of RAM and a 2.67 Core 2 Duo processor. My work desktop has a quad core xeon (equivalent to i7) and 12GB of RAM. Both have the same SSD. And I don't notice a huge performance difference for email, web browsing, and other office tasks.

3. orangepeel macrumors member

This is not the powerpc situation again. For example the g4 processor and the faster g5 processor's are both powerpc. Core2duo, and i5/i7 likewise are both x86 architecture.

And don't try to dupe people, that's lame.

4. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the response, that's interesting. I have been thinking it would be better to put that money towards an SSD, my hard drive capacity needs seem to be less than the average person. As an example, I only used just over half the 60GB hard drive on my late (well not dead, but sold) Powerbook G4 over 6 years!

I'm wondering what other processor-intensive tasks there are? All I hear about is video encoding, which I've never done, but I can't rule out that one day I may dabble in it.

Why have early reviews claimed that the new machine is much snappier in average use? Could it be that it is new? And the machines to which they compare it to are older?

5. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh really, thanks for clarifying that. And I wasn't going to deceive anyone by saying my MBP is better than it is. By "dupe" I meant promptly sell it to someone who hasn't caught wind of the new refresh or hasn't bothered to do due diligence in his or her notebook acquisition.

6. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Sounds like delayed buyer's remorse. :)

If it is still "great" then why even consider replacing it when there will be even newer, better models in a year or two? Meanwhile, start saving!

7. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Easiest way would be to sell to someone who's not really up to date on the refreshes. You just have to hit it lucky. There's nothing wrong with that. Not your fault the buyer didnt do homework.

8. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I took that into consideration. There's always something better down the line. Undoubtedly, however, my computer will further depreciate by the that point. And selling a computer off every 2 years is not my bag; I like to get a lot of mileage out of my machines. I just feel I could harmlessly swap it now while it still retains a good deal of its initial value.

9. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah -- not only are the new MBPs out there but my version refurbished is being sold for 930 by Apple, and I would think Apple is more of an accredited used Macbook dealer than am I or any other average Joe.