To take back or not to take back (stuck white pixels)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Vikinguy, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Vikinguy macrumors 6502

I have a week 37 touch with what i feel are very solid black levels. However, it does have 1 pretty noticable stuck pixel and what i believe to be about 4 to 5 others. Should i take the dang thing back or not risk getting a worse one and keep it? Do you actually have to make an appointment?

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i say you take it back. one stuck/dead pixel is debatable but not 5 or 6. you don't have to make an appointment, though you might have to wait awhile.

3. Vikinguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I hear ya and I agree that for this price the unit should be perfect but I just dread getting one that doesn't work very well. The white pixels are pretty obvious on the main menu screen so I would hope a genius would exchange with no resistance.

4. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

The thing I was worried about (or would be) is if returning it for dead pixels and getting one back that has a bad screen, and then going through the process again. It's like, how high must I set my standards for a 400 buck device? Mine is perfect now and I'm lucky, even my previous one's only problem was the negative screen. My friend had the same problem but he also had a few dead pixels....

5. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Just ask to see the bottom of the box and look at the cerial number, if its a week 38 or 39 the screen will be fine.

6. Vikinguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Another quick question. Will they swap one out any time during the man. fact. warranty, or only during the 14 days? I bought it Friday and would like to wait until the last possible second to assure myself atleast a week 38....and say I take it to an apple store on the last day of the 14 day return policy and they don't have any...will they write me a note so i can swap out when they get a shipment? What a pain in the bum.....:D

7. Vikinguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone know? This info would be very helpful.

8. magicdan macrumors newbie

I've gone through two ipod touches and the second one had even more dead pixels than the first. I just asked the applestore for a a refund. They are sending me a check int he full amount I paid. This way, I don't have to worry about needing to replace it again and having a 1 months old receipt.

9. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

from my experience, they'll only exchange it within the first 14 days (iphone experience). after that, they'll have to send it in for repairs.

10. Vikinguy thread starter macrumors 6502

So, you're saying you think they will only exchange it if it's within the 14 day period?

11. Vikinguy thread starter macrumors 6502

So as to the issue of the possibility of them having none in stock until after the 14 days??

12. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

if that's the case, then i'd demand a full refund and fight hard not to pay that restocking fee. buy it again when it's more widely available.

13. Vikinguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Sounds like I need to head down there and talk to them. I still have 10 days.