To the people who don't like iMovie

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by levitynyc, Aug 8, 2007.

1. levitynyc macrumors 65816

I am not a novice computer user. I am not a 75 year old grandmother. I am a 25 year old male who loves high tech gadgets and equipment. I have an HD camcorder and a 10 mega pixel digital SLR.

Sorry to say, but I am a newb in working with iMovie. I've had my iMac since November. I tried to use iMovie HD 06 to make short little movies of my vacations, of my niece's concerts, my parties, and of old home movies I just converted to DVD It was overly complicated for me. It felt more like a pro-app rather than an Apple program. I don't have hours of time to make a halfway decent movie. I felt like Steve was talking about me when he explained how it was impossible to make a movie in half an hour. I even bought a help book and I still found myself never using it.

Imovie 08 has been a godsend. Apple has hit a home-run by simplifying the application. I have used it for almost 24 hours now and I have been having a blast. Its so easy to use and fun, instead of frustrating and complicated. I would bet that 90 % of converted PC users never used iMovie 06. The simplicity and fun of iMovie 08 will bring the # of new converters to 95%.

If you want dual audio tracks, timelines, and have 6 hours to make a 15 minute movie, then buy Final Cut Express.

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

you figured out how to use imovie 08 but couldnt figure out imovie HD?

i find that hard to believe

3. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

iMovie HD in 06' was hard to use, with a book too?

Did you ever try the magic movie option?

4. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

its impossible to make a movie in half an hour unless its only 5 mins long

just ripping it off of the camera and exporting the final movie takes longer than that

5. macbwizard macrumors 6502

macbwizard

I understand your point and it's probably a very good one. There should be a way to make a simple app that has more advanced features under the hood that intermediate users can fiddle with (iPhoto is a little like this).

A lot of us have been using iMovie since its original release quite a few years ago and are very comfortable with the layout. To us, it feels like we're losing a lot of functionality.

6. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

Well, it is good they released 06 as a free download.

7. levitynyc thread starter macrumors 65816

Sweet!!! You can have both installed at the same time. Thats good news for the people that like 06.

8. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

Exactly. No offense, but you have no idea what it was like to make great movies on iMovie, and then all of a sudden an "updated" version takes it all away.

Also not to be mean, but how hard is it to put clips into a timeline and add a few transitions and maybe a song or a few sound effects? Honestly, using it for 1/2 an hour and you should have been able to do most things on iMovie 06.

My question is...why does iPhoto have advanced controls like saturation, hue, color stuff, blah blah...stuff I don't even know how to use...and they didn't take all that stuff away did they??

I understand why they created a dumbed down version of iMovie, but make it either a seperate app, or have 2 options: Glorified Youtube editior for 14 year olds, or regular iMovie.

9. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

Three good choices from Apple; iMovie 6 or 08, FCE and FCP
    Sounds like something for everyone

10. PShot07 macrumors member

There is a HUGE problem that people aren't seeing here. My high school uses iMovie a lot. They actually have a class dedicated to making films with it. It takes the students maybe 2 or 3 days to get use to using iMovie, by that time they have figured out every little feature and also ways to manipulate it in truly unique ways. Anyway, my school tries to stay on top of things. They have already purchased iLife '08 and will install it before school resumes this fall. iMovie HD6 will NOT be left on the hard drives, they "need the space." I already contacted one of the teachers of the class and she basically said "well.. there goes Mass Media." It's sad. The school will not purchase Final Cut Express and the new iMovie does not meet their needs. Education is the market that saved them 10 years ago, and this one move is starting to abandon that market.

More like Three Ok choices for consumers (iMovie '06, FCE, or FCP) until you realize most people are not going to spend anymore than $80 on a fun hobby, and iMovie '06 won't be compatible forever. I hope Apple fills this hole somehow. iMovie Pro?

11. macklos macrumors member

macklos

Not having the ability import older iMovie projects without having to redo titles and transitions and who knows what else should have been a good enough indication to Apple that this is not the way to go. Making an app easier to use is one thing. Changing it so drastically that it's not fully compatible with previous versions is plain stupid.

12. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

And that would be why they are allowing iMovie '08 users to download iMovie '06. Not hard to understand.

I happen to agree with the OP. iMovie was too complicated when you just wanted to throw a few clips together and slap it on a webpage to share with family. I don't want to 1) have to learn the app and then 2) play with it until I get it right. I have a lot of other things I need to get done. I love this new version and for everyone who really liked iMovie '06 you still have it. Both sides are happy.

13. levitynyc thread starter macrumors 65816

Because just by using a slider, you can SEE what you are doing.

14. levitynyc thread starter macrumors 65816

Bingo

15. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

I had iLife '06. after installing '08 it made a folder "imovie (previous version)" and lo and behold, imove HD was in there.

16. kakkoiimac macrumors regular

I also agree with the OP. I have messed around with iMovie 06 for a little while, but I dont have the time or the will power to put in a couple of hours to make a movie. Seeing the new FAST way to make movies has got me a ton more motivated to do some experimenting.

17. rhoydotp macrumors 6502

rhoydotp

i totally agree with this. iMovie6 just makes it harder to make movies. i don't mind the hard work as i used to play a lot with vegas & fce. but imovie is neither those 2 and not iMovie08. i love it for quick takes. if you want mre complicated stuff, get pro software.

btw, if iMovie06 is still available, then its a moot point to import to the new one, methinks :confused:

18. cclements07 macrumors newbie

I'm going to have to say that your school is not very smart at all. if their so-called "mass media" class is making the upgrade but also "needs the space," they should just install ilife 08, which will leave imovie hd on the computers, then uninstall imovie 08. that way they still have the same good old imovie 06 without losing space. and actually, why would they even need ilife 08 in the first place? does the functionality of the class really depend upon the potential benefits of upgrading of the program?

if apples share in the educational market suffers from this one changed program, its b/c of the stupidity of the schools and nothing else.

19. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

imovie HD was easy, but then again I have been FCP certified before I ever used iMovie.

I have not and don't plan on using iMovie '08 but I do think it was a good idea not only to simplify iMovie, but also to let people download iMovie HD. Video work can be a pain in the arse especially if you really have never done video work before. The old iMovie was easy and the new one looks even easier.