To those buying the new Apple TV......

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Aluminum213, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Do you buy digital movies?
    Are you exclusive to iTunes?

I'm trying to figure out how anyone could blind buy this without first seeing if Apple will approve Vudu, which is the number 1 digital movie service for purchased movies.

I think they will approve it eventually, but they obviously never did before on the Apple TV which is probably reason why other boxes like Roku could thrive

2. estabya macrumors 6502

estabya

I can't imagine they would approve Vudu as it is a direct competitor to iTunes. But it's not as if Vudu would be the only app that would be useful, or as if purchased movies would be the only application for the Apple TV. Personally, I couldn't care less about Vudu.

3. Rigby macrumors 601

At least 2 years ago, iTunes had a much bigger market share than Vudu:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/23/npd-group-apple-itunes-owns-the-internet-video-market/

Has that really changed so dramatically?

But yes, I'm also wondering whether Apple will allow direct competitors. Would be nice if we didn't have to set up a small armada of media streamers.

4. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

All content that I have "Purchased" have been on iTunes. I also rent most of my movies on iTunes via the ATV. But my wife sometimes rents on the CABLE Box. So I have no need for Vudu. My guess is that if they allow on the iPhone/iPad they will allow on the New ATV4 via the App Store. However, you will have to rent/purchase on the Vudu Web Site or some place else just like on the iPad.

Vudu FAQ:

FAQs

Why can’t I purchase or rent through the app?

While we would love to make owning or renting through the VUDU Player app, Apple’s fees for in-app purchases makes it economically unfeasible to do so. You can, however, still browse and shop VUDU using your mobile device’s web browser.

5. qCzar macrumors regular

I remember when I thought iTunes was the best thing. All of my media offline and in one place. But then I got a smart TV and I couldn't watch any of my movies. Then I got a game console. Still couldn't watch them. So I got an Apple TV and it's really not all that (here's to hoping the 2015 ATV will be better!) and I find myself using VUDU more than iTunes these days.

I'm 50/50. VUDU has certainly caught up with iTunes in my opinion, I can watch my movies and TV shows anywhere on any device which is a huge perk. With my PS4, if I want to watch late at night, I can plug headphones into my controller and listen without disturbing anyone. That, and it seems most movies come with a UV only copy or a choice between the two services; there's no more iTunes only digital copy deals.

However, when a movie comes with a VUDU or iTunes copy, I redeem iTunes first as I'd rather have it downloaded in my possession instead of available to me only online. And while I know VUDU lets me download videos, there's no central place for me to store them like there is for iTunes. If my internet goes down, I can stream to any TV in my home, my iPad or my phone with iTunes.

6. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

iTunes is global and Vudu is USA only.

7. 960design macrumors 68000

Yes, over 500.
    Almost completely now. I had about 500 movies on DVD / BR that were saved to a NAS. But now I've replaced all the ones I watch more than a couple of times via iTunes.

Never used Vudu, so not relevant to my decisions[/quote]

8. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

My initial ATV purchase was to play all my converted DVDs and Blu-rays on my TV without the need of an actual computer (or to get up off my ass and put in a disc). The ATV has been amazing for that purpose. It also doubles as my HBO, Showtime, DisneyXD (yeah I like cartoons, wanna fight about it??) streaming box in areas of my house that doesn't have a cable box connected. Add in the Airplay streaming, which I use for Amazon Prime and some other channels (CW mostly), it gives me the ability to get stuff on my TV that I otherwise would have to connect a computer or cable box so its great.

Admittedly, I'm slightly disappointed with the new ATV specs (maybe more the price vs specs), but I'm still going to grab one.

9. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I don't buy digital movies at all, unless I love the movie so much that I must own it. Last time that happened was when the Back to the Future DVD Trilogy came out...

I find that between Netflix, HBO, Amazon, Crackle, and whatever airs on OTA, I see all the movies I want.

If it's a must-see cinematic experience (Gravity, Interstellar, Batman movies, Guardians of the Galaxy, etc.) then I will see it in my local real IMAX theater (by real I mean true 70mm film projectors, not digital LieMax). Otherwise, the streaming stuff is plenty for the comedies, dramas, horror flicks, etc.

A few times a year when I want to watch a particular movie and can't find it on streaming, I usually just rent it on iTunes. Haven't done that in a while.

I expect to see Vudu and Amazon and all the rest within a year. These apps won't let you buy, most likely, but they will certainly be viewers for content you have already bought or subscribed to. Basically, if it's a streaming service that has an iPhone or iPad app, it will probably have an tvOS app as well.

Personally, I would never buy from Vudu though. Unlike iTunes, you don't get an actual file that you can download and backup to your external hard drive or offsite storage. In theory, if in 50 years neither Apple nor Vudu exist, I have much more confidence that I will be able to find a way to play the FairPlay DRMed iTunes download (or strip it of it's DRM) than a Vudu providing me with a download when they go under. Renting is another story. Don't care about the file then.

10. BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

I buy iTunes content exclusively.

However, there is an iPad Vudu app, so I don't see why it wouldn't be approved for the new ATV.

11. Aluminum213 thread starter macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

there are literally thousands of Apple approved apps that are just regional

12. laurim macrumors 68000

laurim

The only movies I buy are 3D movies on BluRay. And then they gather dust, but at least if someone wants to come over and watch a 3D movie on my projector, I have something to play. I might own a total of 20 movies. Most of my movie rentals are from iTunes but occasionally I'll look on Amazon for an old movie that iTunes doesn't have, like the old Emmanuel movies, which still Amazon only has one in the series. I want the new TV for the universal search, app store, home kit integration and whatever they may do to help me dump Comcast.

13. Rigby macrumors 601

I have quite a few movies on Vudu (or rather in my Ultraviolet locker, which can also be accessed via Flixster and other services), but they are all digital copies from Blu-rays that I bought, i.e. I didn't buy a single one directly from Vudu. I do buy movies and TV shows from iTunes, which I prefer because I can download the files and freely copy them around between compatible devices and computers. I also have more confidence in iTunes' long-term viability than in Ultraviolet's. Still, I'd like to have one device that can play back iTunes, Amazon Prime, Netflix, HBO Go, and one of the Ultraviolet providers. Right now such a device doesn't exist.

14. Ray Brady macrumors 6502

I'll definitely be getting the new Apple TV. I use my current one every day, but not for purchased movies. The only digital movies I own are those that came for free when I bought the Blu-Ray. I use the Apple TV because it's a convenient one-stop device for all my various subscription services like Netflix, HBO GO, Showtime, etc. I also like its portability. If I'm spending Christmas at my father's house, I can throw the box in my bag, and we can watch whatever we want at his place.

15. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

yes
    No

Vudu is not a service I use. So not relevant.

16. Che Castro macrumors 603

90% of Apple users don't know what vudu is

17. aced411 macrumors 6502

I tried to start using Vudu, I like the concept (converting dvd's, ultraviolet) but I ended up forgoing that effort pretty quick. Besides the fact that I've been buying iTunes movies for the last 6 years, the Vudu UI is "classic" to say the least. On top of that, I can't watch movies in HD on an iPad and the Vudu 2 Go mac/pc app is a piece of crap. iTunes in the only service I know of that lets you download the movies to your local computer and watch/locally stream them without an internet connection.

Anyway I do have a handful of Vudu movies and I expect apple will approve their app. Like the iOS version, you'll probably be able to stream your movies but not buy new ones.

18. Kurri macrumors 6502

Personally I use itunes and vudu. I buy digital copies from another site. usually 2-3 each. saves tons of money, don't need cable. I have a ps4 for vudu and apple tv for itunes. so yes, I will be sticking with the apple tv since everything is integrated with itunes.

19. mrholder macrumors regular

I did not read everyone's posts, but the Flixter Video app on the iPhone will let you download your vudu movies and then you can airplay them to the Apple TV. I just got my first Apple TV (3rd gen) and I've been experimenting airplaying without being on home wifi or using personal hotspot (as long as movie is downloaded). I have wifi at home, but I take the ATV with me to another location and can stream the downloaded movie to the atv. (I digress)

20. Aluminum213 thread starter macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Nice made up stat

21. Aluminum213 thread starter macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

VUDU is on every device, iTunes is locked to Apple

Just makes no sense to buy movies on iTunes

22. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

It does if you use only apple devices.

23. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I am sure Vudu will be on there, but only to watch your already owned content. You will not be able to rent/buy directly through Vudu on the ATV.

24. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

First sentence is not entirely true, since you can install iTunes on a PC

Plus availability on every device is irrelevant if a user only owns Apple products

25. Rigby macrumors 601

You should be able to watch your Ultraviolet movies in HD on iOS and PC/Mac using the Flixster app according to their FAQ.

The problem that I have with downloading UV movies is that you can only download them directly to one app/device and they are locked down there via DRM. E.g. you cannot back them up, quickly throw them from a computer onto an iPad, or stream them to a streaming box on your local network. It's just too restrictive.