To those complaining about HD 3000 graphics

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BubbaMc, Feb 24, 2011.

1. BubbaMc macrumors regular

How often to you game on your Macbooks anyway?

2. DarkVinda macrumors regular

DarkVinda

I have had numberous laptops and a few desktops all with the intel HD gfx.

i dont like them - that is my personal opinion...for a business there good - allow decent resolutions etc, and remove the need to extra £ to be spent on systems.

i use my 13" mbpro for wow and quite happily run's that and i bootcamp and play quite a few steam games...so i do use mine a lot...

mainly its logic and wow thats what mine gets used for :D

3. gox81 macrumors member

gox81

doesn't it also affect 3D CAD programs?
    Last time I checked, the current 13" would do 'just fine' for those kind of tasks..but I've heard this intel integrated graph card is doing worse than the current nvidea one, what's the deal?

4. DarkVinda macrumors regular

DarkVinda

it will affect that - but im not sure if thats an outright fail or if nvidia slipped something in to make cad programs work that little better - they've been known to botch drivers so that there card beats ati at 3d mark and i think they'd do the same slip a cuda.dll in there somewhere lol :D

5. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

thats just silly question

how many people can drive 150...but i want a GT mustang
    ect ect

a update should be just that...not step backwards

6. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; nb-no) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

If you plan on using final cut. Don't buy the 13. The igp isn't supported.

Also, yes the intel gpu is worse then the. 320m.

Benchmarks are showing that a mobile quad core sandy bridge CPU (much better then a dual core i5 that comes with the 13) with a intel 3000 hd is outperformed by a core 2 duo with a 320m.

For example: in call of duty black ops the 320m with a core 2 duo gets 50% more fps then a quad core sandy bridge CPU with a intel 3000hd.

What's worse is that the intel igp scales so bad. If you choose medium settings on a game. The 320 outperforms the intel igp even more.

The new 13 is a step back from previous gen IF you just want to game.

If you don't believe any of this. Read benchmarks. Especially on notebookgpus site

7. BubbaMc thread starter macrumors regular

Logic is mainly what I use mine for. When I bought the macbook it I thought I'd be playing many games but never did - easier to fire up the PC with it's big screen and cheap graphics card.

8. BubbaMc thread starter macrumors regular

I've done a lot of CAD on cards much slower than the HD3000. For serious CAD work I wouldn't use a 13" mbp anyway.

9. DarkVinda macrumors regular

DarkVinda

The thing i have over just a 13" MBPro is if i want to i can hook it upto my 42" plasma and also im currently moving but once moved im going to get a 23" LG screen and a dock. so the screen size doesnt matter to me when i need the extra i will have it.

also if my work takes off the way the business is moving i might be able to get my hands on a 21" imac.

i've just got rid of my q8300 quad core dell desktop with a 1gb 4870 cos it was never used for more than wow and watching films - so i got apple tv for that :D

10. Macmadant macrumors 6502a

What a totally inane comment, it's not just about games, it's about the fact that apple has released a machine with less graphics capability before it. Also the Intel graphics provide no future proofing at all. for someone like me who would buy this machine and keep it for 4-6 years it's important that i have a GPU that i know will still be competitive in 2 or 3 years time.

11. mattk3650 macrumors member

I like Macs and I like games.

I wanted a small laptop that could run Left 4 Dead 2, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, and Grand Theft Auto 4 on decent settings. Instead Apple gives us this pile of crap.

Hopefully there's a version with no optical drive that has dedicated graphics. Kind of like the old Mac Mini Server with no optical drive.

12. kitzuki macrumors regular

kitzuki

this. For a igp and the price you are spending whats the point when its on netbooks type of gaming its sad

Now I have to look for the 15s so far quad core bigger yes but overall better (they were before anyways)

side note: i just found out that shift+insert = paste XD i had no idea :p

13. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Yes it is a silly question. The 3000 is a downgrade from the 320M in multiple ways.