To those of you paying $99 for .mac:

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by LaJaca, Jan 12, 2008.

1. LaJaca macrumors regular

LaJaca

I know plenty of folks don't find the $99 worthwhile.

But to those of you who do: what do you find is the value for you in your .mac subscription? I'm looking to take the plunge but want to hear from those of you who find the fee is a fair trade.

Many thanks in advance.

2. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I don't mind paying for the iPhoto stuff alone. I think the new iPhoto galleries are the best on the Web. I also like the integrated ordering of print products.

My gallery.

3. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

I absolutely hate web based mail (hotmail) and hate hate gmail, so there is no other option that gives me 2GB+ out there that will work with Mail.app other than .mac. Besides the name @mac is cool ejejej and the 10gb iDisk/Mail is worth the 99$. Also my .mac has never, not even once failed me (not in the iPhone nor in my Mac) whilst hotmail (just for chatting) fails constantly and is absolute rubbish. I pay my yearly subscription with the 100$ my grandmother gives me for christmas :rolleyes:There's also goodies like iChat over the web (not only LAN)so I can video chat with other .mac users everywhere in the globe. Hope this helped.

-Victor

4. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

It's nothing. It works out to less than a cup of coffee a day or something insane like that.

I can't live without it having an iMac and PowerBook. I keep everything synced and that alone is worth the cost.

Plus the web hosting and .Mac gallery is great, too.

I love using iChat, but wish more of my friends did too.

5. LaJaca thread starter macrumors regular

LaJaca

Great album - love the Italy pics. I lived there for 3 years and have a boatload of pics to put online. I'm interested in what iPhoto can do for me for an online gallery - thanks for the great example - but I'm an Adobe Lightroom person myself and I'm not sure I want to 'cross pollinate' between the two too much....

6. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

I really wish I could talk myself into purchasing .Mac. All of the features are great. The only problem for me can be solved in one word: "Monopoly". Now, I don't care about monopolies. Microsoft can take over the world for all I care. I recently switched from windows to mac. On my windows machine, I had everything microsoft/windows so that everything would sync. I had a windows live account, xbox live, and all this other stuff. Then I decided to switch to a Mac. It was almost impossible to switch all that stuff over. So now I use GMail and all my hotmail is forwarded there, and I use it with the mail app. I only bought iWork 08 because of the fact that you can save as PDF. If I ever decided to go back to windows, I don't want to have to start from scratch again. I try to keep myself in the middle of apple and microsoft. If someone has a better product, I want full capability with that product.

7. arj8138 macrumors member

Wow way to put all your apples [pardon the pun] in one basket.

Just as an FYI, if you can Print it, you can turn it into a PDF on a Mac.

In the print dialog there is a drop down box in the bottom left that says PDF, and you can save a web-page, word doc., excel, etc. etc. as a PDF. For free.

8. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Yeah, $8.25 per month is just crazy! That's over 27 cents per day! :rolleyes:

Actually, Gmail works really well with Mail.app. You never need to use the web interface.

9. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

there's no free lunch on earth. imho, the biggest value that dot mac offers is privacy. but the relationship between apple and google may change that one day.

i think getting dot mac for $70 when buying a new mac is pretty decent, and you can get the family version on ebay for less than that price!

10. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

That's very true.

I had the trial, and it just so happened that it ran out the day after the new Mac Pro was released. Since I ordered a new Mac Pro the day it was released and ordered the .Mac for $70.00, I was able to upgrade my trial account two days later and not lose anything.

FYI, after this year on .Mac I'll be searching Ebay and such for a better deal than $99.00. If I recall, the student pricing on .Mac (and pretty much everything else) used to be really good, but Apple decided to slash student prices (well, slash the savings out that is..).

Anyhow, I have my own domain name and website using web space from my university's computer lab servers. I have found the .Mac photo gallery to be such a convenient and well-polished solution that I don't even bother with the other site.

Haven't tried the iDisk and Backup yet, though I imagine I will at some point. The photo galllery, video iChat, Mail are all worth $70.00 to me already.

11. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

I find it quite useful and think probably my most used feature is the e-mail, even though I could just use Gmail I suppose. I've been using iWeb for a little bit now and with the new domain forwarding thing, I'm really happy with how my website looks these days (in my signature).

When .Mac was first around they had an offer on a blogging tool called iBlog. I still use that as oppose to iWeb or anything else and even though it has it's problems, it fits in so well, so maybe the reason I couldn't give up .Mac now is because I'd lose my blog.

For a couple years I had only one mac, but still used a number of the features, having two macs has just meant they both have the same info on them, which is so much better.

Backup does a weekly backup of my personal data such as keychains and preferences to my iDisk, so I never have to worry about losing any of that.

My gallery is also quite nice for keeping photos and movies, it has worked very well updating daily from different foreign countries with new photos, so that's a plus.

You can use iChat with an AIM account or free .Mac account, but encryption between other .Mac users is nice and probably satisfies a few security buffs.

Between my website, blog and gallery I don't think I'd ever use the bandwidth they allocate to me every month, the best I've ever done was in September when I hit 500MB for the whole month, out of a total 100GB mind you though ;)

While many of the features you could piece together in stand alone products for less, its the fact that it's all just the one product that's useful, and it's all the things in the background that I never think about, but they just work, luckily.

12. FDX macrumors regular

I have always purchased from amazon for $70. I like the Backup and the sync and the idisk and of course the @mac.com email.

13. Italchef macrumors 6502

In addition to the other things people have said, I like it for synching with iCal. I've saved the link to my iCal with my windoze machine at work and at anything I can access the calendar on my iMac at home. It synchs automatically. The only thing is that it's a read only apart away from home, but for me that's ok as I'm really only checking my schedule etc.

Mick

14. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I too find a lot of value in it. The web galleries are nice as is iWeb for one of my sites. We have 4 email addresses and one of those is the .mac address and it is generally the most reliable I'd agree with the poster above that said that. I haven't really found a need for iDisk but I am sure I will eventually.

15. mikelcroft macrumors regular

It is expensive for what it is, imo.

I got it as a bday gift. Don't really use anything but the email though, so don't take my word. :p

16. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

Evidently the UK version of .mac is 1.4x better than the US since we get to pay ~$140 for it
    When will you learn Apple.

17. mediaguru macrumors regular

As others have mentioned in various places, you can often find people selling new, unused copies of .Mac on eBay and similar sites. As long as it is legitimate, the code contained within can be used to activate or renew a .Mac subscription. I've seen people selling these packages for as much as $50 off retail price. :)

18. danny_w macrumors 601

...and more for family packs. I got a family pack for $89 vs. Apple's insane $179.

19. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

Syncing between my multiple Macs is the biggest reason for me.

Also, I have multiple email accounts (Yahoo, Gmail, AOL, etc.) and for some reason, my .mac account is the only one that never gets junk mail or spam.

Yahoo is the absolute worst for spam and junk mail.

20. Verschoren macrumors regular

Verschoren

- The emailadres, I like the mail interface, and the .Mac mail interface online just works
    - the ilife/iphoto/iweb integration. Just for that kind of ease-of-use ntegration I'd buy it
    - ichat, but when you use the trial you can keep the account, even after it's ended, so that's not a reason is it

I used to use the .Mac sync a lot, but since I sold my iMac I have nothing so sync with, it's just me, my MBP and my iPhone ;)

But to be honest: I didn't pay for my .Mac, I get it free by doing the Apple Training For Resellers ;)

21. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yep sure is, but still a lot less than people spend on coffee each day.

Drop one or two cups a month to pay for it.

Oh wait they cannot live without that, and the .mac may actually be of more use than spending extra for coffee chain coffee.

22. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

yahoo mail's interface is teh stooppid. wth am i forced to read the news first before getting to mail? it also doesn't refresh (often enough) to reflect new mail in inbox.

you'd think that they'd have learned from google by now... :rolleyes:

23. cornopaez macrumors regular

cornopaez

Two thing have already paid for it in about 6 months of use: 1) File sharing and 2) email with integration with AOL. You see, the way I look at it, $99 a year for the ability of been able to share big files with my parents over seas for a year, it's worth it. Even more so when you have the ability to work on a project from where ever you are; just load onto iDisk and you're done. About the email, iChat and Mail are two of the most used apps in my lappy, since I talk to my folks and friends in different countries all the time...

I'd say it's worth. It's painful when bought but it pays for it self in the long run.

24. Macula macrumors 6502

Macula

If you're into .Mac for the iDisk alone -- as i was -- then skip it:

iDisk is inexcusably slow compared to other competitively-priced webDAV services like Amazon's S3. We're talking about 50-60KBps uploads here -- ridiculously slow.

I wish I had known earlier.

25. cornopaez macrumors regular

cornopaez

I'd have to disagree. I've been uploading stuff onto iDisk at 1Mb/s+ (downloading at 2Mb/s the other day) from school and at least 100+kbps (170kbps downloading) from home.

It's very fast...