Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donster28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
...and to those currently backing up with Time Machine/Capsule.

Are you at all concerned that you will be doing another 'initial' back-up once Snow Leopard is installed? And we all know how long this will take.

I might be just me but the when I did a clean install of Leopard last week (to prepare for my upgrade), I had to go through an initial back-up.

Just a concern. ;)

TheCheapGeek

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
I am actually looking forward to making a new initial backup after i get my new snow leopard install squared away. Ill get rid of all the carp I dont need anymore

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
...and to those currently backing up with Time Machine/Capsule.

Are you at all concerned that you will be doing another 'initial' back-up once Snow Leopard is installed? And we all know how long this will take.

I might be just me but the when I did a clean install of Leopard last week (to prepare for my upgrade), I had to go through an initial back-up.

Just a concern. ;)

Why do a clean install to prepare for another clean install? :confused:
Too much time on your hands? :) Chillax :D

Since when does SL interface with fish?:p

It's in build 10A437 :p

imfrog2002

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2007
My initial backup was via USB 2.0 and it was about 90GB. Took about 9 hours. Totally sucked. x_x I REALLY hope SL is faster, because it couldn't be any slower.

macboy4

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2009
My initial backup was via USB 2.0 and it was about 90GB. Took about 9 hours. Totally sucked. x_x I REALLY hope SL is faster, because it couldn't be any slower.

WOW!! I have about the same amount of data and mine only took 1.5 hours (also USB 2.0).

imfrog2002

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2007
WOW!! I have about the same amount of data and mine only took 1.5 hours (also USB 2.0).

Doesn't surprise me. I always have the longer time and most issues. :p Don't ask me why, but it always happens to me. xD It was also a 5400rpm to 5400rpm. Would that make a difference like that?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Huh. I backed up about 850 GB in less than 8 hours (don't know exact number, I was asleep) and that was on USB 2 as well.

I think all the inconsistencies has to do with the inconsistent transfer rate of usb. It uses CPU power to handle the loads right? So those with different running applications will get vastly different results, right?

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
For those getting huge initial backup times, excluding your backup drive from spotlight will speed things up greatly.

lukin

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
The more I read about moving to SL the more confused I get. I've had my MBP about 10 months, it's my first Mac so this is my first time installing OS X.

I've read upgrading is fine.

I've read it's better to clean install and take the opportunity to clear out clutter/bad config files/etc.

I've read that doing a clean install, then restoring files from Time Machine is the same as doing an upgrade.

I've read that it's ok to clean install, then possible to only restore user files (mail, docs, music, etc) from Time Machine.

I've read after you clean install you can connect your Time Machine drive and selectively move files over... but then you lose settings (passwords/bookmarks/etc).

The reason there's so many threads is because so many people are saying different things it's confusing to us doing this for the first time! What should we do?

Petoz

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
UK
The more I read about moving to SL the more confused I get. I've had my MBP about 10 months, it's my first Mac so this is my first time installing OS X.

I've read upgrading is fine.

I've read it's better to clean install and take the opportunity to clear out clutter/bad config files/etc.

I've read that doing a clean install, then restoring files from Time Machine is the same as doing an upgrade.

I've read that it's ok to clean install, then possible to only restore user files (mail, docs, music, etc) from Time Machine.

I've read after you clean install you can connect your Time Machine drive and selectively move files over... but then you lose settings (passwords/bookmarks/etc).

The reason there's so many threads is because so many people are saying different things it's confusing to us doing this for the first time! What should we do?

I understand the confusion. Many options, but never sure of the best way to go for.

I was thinking of performing a clean install, and restoring selected files from time machine (music, photos etc). This was I will clear out any crap, and just restore the files I need. I don't mind about settings, they are easy enough to sort after. As for bookmarks, you can copy the bookmarks file from time machine.

However, with this method I also have a question. What about iLife? I have a mid 2009 MBP, so have iLife 09 with Leopard. As the SL disk is only an 'up-to-date' disk (I pre-ordered), will it install all of the iLife applications if a clean install is performed?

donster28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
I am doing an upgrade. It's just easy as that. Apple will not be giving it as an option if it will degrade the quality, speed, etc. of Snow Leopard.

I come from a PC background and have been using Macs for 4 years now. Yes, a clean install of Windows can sometimes be better but then I also opted to upgrade to Vista from Windows XP with no problems at all.

I upgraded from Tiger to Leopard and had no problems, compatibilitywise and speedwise.

I can understand if some people here have been installing crap in their Leopard for the past few months and have been getting sloppy Leopard performance. But if you're not experiencing any problems now, why do a clean install?

Listen people, make it an easy and painless decission. Upgrade! If you have problems later on then clean install...which I doubt you will.

Let the update speak for itself and let it run it's course and judge it later. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.