To those returning or thinking of returning...

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Mascots, May 7, 2015.

1. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

Legitimately, what were your reasons for returning it or what is turning you away?

~
    Thread Note: There was a thread earlier in which someone asked others why they returned it, but in it, the OP and many of the posters just exaggerated claims and merely played off silly memes. I felt as though it really turned people away who didn't want to start confrontation or be made fun of, though it made me grossly curious. So please, let's remember there's humans on the other side. :)

P.S. I think it would be wouldful if MR staff actually reached out to some people who were willing to write decent overviews of their experience, a legitimate user POV. I feel like that's been lacking around the Applesphere this time around.

2. the1payday macrumors 6502

the1payday

I did. Used it for about 10 days and shipped it back yesterday.

Honestly, I loved it. It did everything Apple said it would, and it did it well. I never had any issues with things that other people were complaining about like the watch not activating when you raise your wrist, or other things. I honestly just enjoyed it.

The thing I started to realize after a week or so was that the watch literally does NOTHING additional that my phone can't already do. (Or at least nothing additional worth the $750 I spent on it). I get that the health and fitness tracking is a big deal, but it wasn't a big feature that I was personally going to use. Once that realization sank in, I realized the watch just wasn't for me.

I'd still recommend the Apple Watch to anyone who wanted one. It worked great, and I think it's the best smart watch out there. I just realized I didn't really need one, like one would need a computer or a smartphone.

3. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

It's not difficult to figure out why some people are returning the Apple watch. Here are some reasons:

- Some did not know if a smart watch was for them or not and instead of trying a $80 Pebble watch first (which is what I did) they spent $350+ on an Apple watch expecting something "magical" to happen and when it didn't they were disappointed.

- Some did not do any research and bought the Apple watch thinking it's an iphone on your wrist even though every tech site and even the keynote specifically explained what the features are.

- Some people bought one and tried to justify the cost by how much they "used" it through out the day. This is a watch. You wear it, it tells the time and does other things. You're not going to be using it all day long. You can't justify the cost in that manner like you can't justify the cost of jewelry. My Stainless Steel bracelet does nothing, has no use. Should I return it?

Most of us who are happy with our purchases took the time to learn about the watch and its functions, already had a smart watch prior or were open to the idea. If a forum needs to convince you to buy a product it's not for you.

4. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

I used the sport for 3 days and sold it. I wore the stainless steel for a day and like the previous poster said, $700 was just a bit much.

My main reason I returned it was that my temp job ended early so there was no way I could justify keeping a $700 watch.

I had the 38mm SS with black classic buckle. I know the claim is this band is 'luxury,' but it never really felt like a $150 band.

As for the watch itself, I honestly felt it was too small and a 42mm (if one could be had at this point) isn't that much bigger. Perhaps if turning the post would zoom in (maybe it could and I never used it long enough to find out).

When asked 'what does it do?' I found myself at a loss. If I'm going to say 'it's just a watch,' that's not a good enough reason to own one. Notifications were nice, but I don't receive that many emails or texts. I have a GPS watch for running and the AW has been shown not to be accurate for this.

Honestly, for the money, a Citizen Ecodrive would be cheaper and nicer...if all I wanted was a watch.

5. kunfunyu macrumors member

If anyone is thinking of returning, feel free to message me as my pre-orders for my wife and I have been "Processing" for quite some time. Just thought I would offer this. Would be a no-hassle transaction. If not, disregard this!

6. Mascots thread starter macrumors 65816

Mascots

Is it really that hard for me to ask about first hand experiences? Is that not taking time to learn? In fact, in what you quoted, I asked for you to remember about the human on the other side - yet, I immediately get a post that makes assumptions based on antecedial evidence that is degrading to not only me, but those who were dissatisfied. Figures.

Anyway, I'm still waiting for mine and am more than overjoyed. As I said, I was genuinely curious.

Thanks for the legitimate opinions.

7. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

I'm returning my 38mm to get the bigger 42mm sport version :D

8. Armen, May 7, 2015
    Last edited: May 7, 2015

Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Here you go. Pick a thread. Maybe you will find what you're looking for.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1878100&highlight=returned+watch

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1873478&highlight=returned+watch

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1878110&highlight=apple+watch+return

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1878815&highlight=apple+watch+return

9. JayMBP macrumors regular

I sold mine and my wife's to my co-worker as we weren't feeling it.

I'm not a watch person. The AW didn't have anything that convinced me wearing it.

Wife is a watch person (as in she wears a watch everyday and has several watches) but find the AW to be neither as good enough watch (it does not display time all the time, changing her usual habit of glance on her wrist for time when she's in line of sight of her wrist) nor as an improvement to her mobile experience (she still needs to take her phone out for majority of the task she tries to do).

10. phytonix macrumors 6502

I am sorry to repeat myself in several threads.

But what turn me off most is that, I think Apple should not have released a glass watch at all. I think aluminum plus sapphire will be a great combo. I think the aluminum case is actually quite nice. But my screen has a minor scratch. Other people reported more severe scratch than mine. A few months from now it could be ugly.

It's a tough decision, but if I am spending $400 it better come with sapphire. And a $600+ watch as iPhone companion is excessive.

11. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

I'll sum it up- People are buying it for the wrong reasons. It's not supposed to do anything your iPhone can't do (besides health + fitness). It's basically just an extension of your iPhone. If you buy one, expect it to be a notifier, a health tracker, and a fashion item and nothing more. And it doesn't need to be anything more than that.

12. slpslee1 macrumors member

First, let me just say I love watches and am never without one... so I would have gotten the Apple Watch for no other reason than it had customizable watch faces.

I did buy the Sport watch, and I think that model is a little easier to swallow on the whole. At first, I thought I would sell it and get the stainless version, but now I think definitely not. I'll wait for the next generation and keep the Sport.

The watch has some unique features that are very robust, and some others that aren't quite there yet. If I had paid a premium for the stainless, I might have been less tolerant of its quirks. I have the iPhone 6+ and love it, but I'm not all that keen on dragging it around 24/7. The watch makes perfect sense for me, because it takes over so many functions of the phone. I can text, I can answer phone calls, I can check the weather and even the stock market... all without pulling out my phone. I love that. A bonus for me is the fitness features, because they definitely keep me more aware that I need to move around regularly. I can even show off my latest pictures of my grandchildren to unsuspecting victims who don't realize I don't need my phone to show them off. :)

So I'm entirely pleased with mine. I hope yours works out great for you, too.

13. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

This. It is only an extension of your phone. It is suppose to improve your life, but not change it.

Also people are ignoring the fashion aspect of it as it is a very nice looking watch. Especially compared to other smart watches.

14. Mascots thread starter macrumors 65816

Mascots

Thank you :)

---

And awesome thanks guys, too. They all seem like valid reasons, but nothing I'm too concerned about myself.

On a funny note while it's on my mind - I just cancelled my Coin order that I placed 2 years ago. After thinking about that, I think I can wait another few weeks ;)

15. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

Ha, I also placed a Coin order in 2013. I contacted them recently and they wrote back saying they were going to ship this Spring. Well in my mind they have two more weeks and then it is no longer Spring. But I do still want the product to combine my credit cards and reduce what I carry around in my wallet.

I think the SS is a bit more expensive for the functionality than people realize. I don't have the watch, but I think that is going to be a major issue that people are going to struggle with. The watch that looks the way they want it to look is going to start at nearly $650 and possibly go to $1,000 or even $1,100. You read on this forum about people who have temp jobs or in college and they are considering the Watch. If the Watch is equal to a weeks paycheck for you, then it seems like a real stretch on the budget.

Basically the watch is something of a luxury in a way that the other Apple products really aren't. In that context it is similar to the original iPod.

16. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Excellent post and describes a lot of the reasons people are returning them.

IMO, if you are buying the SS it is for fashion reasons. If that is not your reasoning, then what the hell are you spending the extra money for haha. From a fashion standpoint, the premium price of the SS is well worth it. I am more shocked the SS didn't start of in the $800-$1000 range....granted that is what it really cost with a good band.

17. jfreak623 macrumors 6502

I have had my 42mm SS milanese for a week now and I will be returning mine this weekend. I think the watch looks FANTASTIC, but unfortunately I just dont feel like this is worth $750. There is nothing on the watch that makes me NEED it. It constantly tells me to stand up after i literally just walked into the house. I am constantly hitting my standing goals everyday .though i work in a cube for 8 hours and I am definitely not standing. The messaging stuff is cool, but kinda useless after a week. The speaker was not what I wanted it to be. You can barely hear the other person. I really wanted to love this watch as it did everything and more that my pebble did except for being able to download third party watch faces.. The only difference is, my pebble was better suited price for what I was getting out of it. I just can't say the same thing right now with my apple watch. I would honestly probably trade in for a sport at the store if I could.

18. seamor0512 macrumors member

why did you think you would "need" it to begin with? It's a watch...

19. jfreak623 macrumors 6502

20. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

I used my $700 SS watch for roughly 3 hours before I realized it wasn't for me. I was scared to death of bumping the watch case on something and or getting scratch marks on the watch itself which is very easy to do with SS.

So I returned the watch less than 24 hours after receiving it. I then ordered a base model watch which will get delivered who knows when. I will feel better scratching a $400 watch vs a $700 watch.

21. Viva macrumors newbie

There is a realisation moment for some that it's nothing more than just an expensive watch with notifications and a lifespan of possibly 3 years. If you are then not a regular watch wearer to begin with, you might question if the money could be better made use of down the road. Once you begin thinking of the next product, the appeal of "watch-with-notifications" might seem redundant and less appealing.

I know if I return mind I'll miss some aspects of it for sure. My thought process was to skip the next revision of the iPhone as I bought the 6 last year and buy the watch instead. I may use the money for the 6S instead, should I return it .. who knows.

22. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

No problem :)

23. AFDoc macrumors 68030

You and I think alike but be careful... you'll be "labeled" by pointing things like this out.

24. barjam macrumors regular

Saphire glass. Regular glass on a watch is just asking for scratches.

25. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Cool. Can I get the label of "Teller of Truths" ? :cool: