iPad mini To those saying the 6 Plus can replace the mini...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JakeJLF, Nov 4, 2014.

1. JakeJLF macrumors member

JakeJLF

2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Sooooo it can? I dont understand your positioning here...

3. 617aircav Suspended

Sure it can: for those that didn't need a mini in the first place.

4. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I don't think people realise just how much bigger the mini is compared to the 6/6+ .

5. JakeJLF thread starter macrumors member

JakeJLF

exactly. Oh yeah, and iPad apps

----------

You can see how much bigger the Mini is

6. JSalig macrumors 6502

They're both silly images IMO. Reminds me of those godawful netbooks with their tiny keyboards.

7. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I had the iPad mini in a Zagg Folio keyboard and once I got my 6 Plus I literally stopped using my iPad altogether and ended up giving it to a family member in trade for their iPad mini (mine was a mini 2, theirs a mini 1) and sold their old one. Currently looking to get the iPad Air 2 since I still have a need for something bigger then my iPhone but more portable then my laptop. The mini is just too small to be a companion to a phablet IMO.

8. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

I have no objection if someone says the 6 plus can replace the mini for them. The 6 plus has less than half the screen real estate as the mini, but for some people at least that will be enough for what they want; a highly portable device that's still comfortable for some browsing, texting, e-mail, and so on.

The plus cannot replace the mini for me.

9. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Depends on the use case. For me it does. I gave my Mini 2 to my wife, and actually picked up that ClamCase you have in your photo and she uses it to run her small business. For me the Mini 2 is more for ingesting content, like watching videos and browsing the web. It was also good for GPS during trips, but a little on the large side for mounting. The Plus is much better for this purpose, as it's bigger and easier to see but not unwieldy. On the Mini, the software keyboard is too small to type on quickly, and the Plus is much more portable for when you're running around campus / town / wherever. I've got an iPad Air 2 now that means serious business when it comes to getting things done. It's easier to type notes on, is better for drawing and editing photos, and eventually will be better for the rumored split screen multitasking. I think for many people the Plus won't replace the Mini, but they will move up to the bigger Air because they are too close in size for it to be worth it.

10. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

My 6 Plus could never replace my tablet. I use each one at different times of the day.

11. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

Same here, I used a Note 3 for a year so I knew that a 5.5" screen can never replace a tablet.

It's just a big phone, not a small tablet...

12. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

It has replaced the rMini.

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Maybe for some but not officially by Apple. I suspect that Apple was weary of updating the retina Mini for concern that the 6+ did somehow cannibalize new sales, but they haven't officially announced that yet.

I love my iPhone 6 + mini combo. The 6+ is just too large for me to carry around in my pocket. I already remove my 6 from my pocket every time I sit. I cannot imagine having the 6+ in my pocket at all.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

To me, the iPhone 6+ is way too big to carry around in my pocket. Getting a tablet that doesn't take calls, etc, is great because I can drop it in my bag. So I agree. My sister has the Mini 2 and it's a neat little device. I could probably go for one of them instead of my big iPad.

15. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I can't just have a phablet. It's too big to be used as a phone and just a tad too small to be used as a tablet.

16. JakeJLF thread starter macrumors member

JakeJLF

exactly how I feel:apple:

----------

No, just no.

17. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

you don't even own a cell phone, so how do you know what it can and can't replace? lol

18. JakeJLF thread starter macrumors member

JakeJLF

Because the Mini is so much bigger, and it has iPad apps.

19. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

I remember having a netbook! And then it broke on me! Ha!

20. urkel macrumors 68030

People arent saying "the 6 Plus can replace the mini...", they are simply stating how the existence of a larger phone has shifted their usage patterns which leaves the Mini being much less valuable to them than it was a month ago.

It's not a big deal and you really shouldn't feel a need to justify any tech choices you make.

21. Mackinjosh macrumors 6502a

Everyone remember to laugh at the TC when Apple announces they're done making the Mini next year. Hell, they're done now. That "update" they gave it last month showed just how little they care about it.

22. TRC-WA macrumors regular

Agreed... Had an original mini that I paid $200 for like 4 months ago... And just traded it to BB for $200. My Air 2 arrived today.

I made a good choice. :cool:

23. newellj macrumors 601

That can be a good thing. I can touch type on the Mini. Not so on the 6 Plus.

24. pacorob macrumors 65832

pacorob

I really like my iPad mini retina (2) besides my iPhone 4S.

I don't ever want such a huge phone such as the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. My hands are simply to small for it. I really like the size of the 4S and when i will upgrade then i would upgrade to the 5S. I hope they come back from the huge screens on the iPhones when launching the 6+/7 ;)

I bought a Samsung NC10 (10inch) back in 2008 and have used it a lot during college times (till 2013) for notes in e.g. Microsoft Word. They battery life was great and the keyboard was superb (a bit small but fine for my hands). The only downside was the screen resolution (1024x600) which could sometimes be less comfortable.

They newer models launched a year later (2009) had a better resolution and were in most cases 11inch and would be excellent for simple tasks where you need to type fast (so iPads and separate keyboards won't be handy in my opinion).
    The smaller 7/8inch models and their keyboards are indeed to small and some even had strange places of e.g. shift key.

25. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

Agreed. I just have the 6, but even if I had the 6+ I would not get rid of my rMini. I used each device to perform different tasks.