To those struggling with the Sandy Bridge dilemma...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hangman, Nov 3, 2010.

  1. Hangman macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2010
    #1
    Hi all,

    I've been in and out of this website's forums over the last year and now feel compelled to make my first post.

    I've wanted to switch to Mac from PC for a while now, but never could really bring myself to do the deed. The main issue was the unknown...what would happen if - after spending the cash on a new machine - I didn't actually like the OS? Yeah sure, you can run Windows via bootcamp I thought, but is this justification alone for spending the extra cash for a Mac? No, was the short answer.

    Anyway, to try and assuage my curiosity I tried to take a shortcut. Around this time last year I bought the then new Dell Mini 10v and set about installing OSX via the Hackintosh method. I managed to pull it off and had before me what I believed to be a fully functioning Mac. Problem was, it was a pain to use - it just wasn't enjoyable given the sub standard trackpad and poor performance from the Atom processor. I re-installed Windows and said "never again".

    But the bug just wouldn't go away, and over the course of the next year I would find myself at the local PC store lusting after the latest Macbook. It was time to act.

    So after carrying out endless research I considered a MBP 15" Core i7 @ 2.66GHz. I was convinced this was the platform for me, only to come across the hundreds (thousands) of internet posts debating Sandy Bridge and the recommendation by a lot of people that waiting was probably the right thing to do. I too agreed figuring that if Sandy Bridge was just around the corner, what would be the point of making the purchase now? It got so confusing and so frustrating with both sides of the debate that I actually considered just forgetting the whole thing and buying a PC instead, but I persevered.

    As luck would have it, I was given the opportunity to buy the MBP of my choice at a discount of around $500 and decided to go ahead. For me, waiting for Sandy Bridge is fine if you have an existing machine but I was without one due to a hardware failure and absolutely desperate for something to save my work to. Not only that but I figured that if Sandy Bridge is price for price the same as the current "Core i" series of processors, the likelihood is that I won't be able to afford anything other than the mid range processor when it hits the shelves, as the discount I could currently enjoy just won't be available when the new machines ship.

    And so here I am - I'm writing this on my new MBP and I have to say, I am absolutely ecstatic with this machine. The performance, the graphics, the look, feel and touch - it's all just perfect. And I'm so glad I took the plunge instead of waiting for something that I can't predict.

    And that's really what I wanted to say. If you're considering buying a new machine you'll get loads of conflicting advice. My advice is simply this - weigh up the options, make a decision, execute it. If you decide to buy now the machine won't become obsolete overnight, over the course of the next month or dare I say it, over the course of the next year or two. So stop reading and start using - it's great. :)

    Apologies for the long post!

    Hangman.
     
  2. MacsOnAnabolics macrumors regular

    MacsOnAnabolics

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2009
    Location:
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    #2
    Very eloquently put. Like I always say... "If you needed it now, buy it now; if not, wait!" Usually in this case I would indulge in the urge and take the plunge. When the new processors become available, sell your unit and upgrade. The value of the MacBook Pro currently would not depreciate much to put you into a money pit when it is time to upgrade.

    Welcome to the Mac society! ;-)
     
  3. robertbrian23 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2010
    #3
    agreed. i really cant wait. i've already order and waiting for it in 2-3 weeks time.

    as everyone suggests if you have a working pc or laptop or previous macs, you can wait but if you need it now. buy it.

    nice story on how you are able to persevere and got that $500 discount, everyone doesn't know what would the next models would have. :cool:
     
  4. fsumom macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2010
    #4
    Nicely put. I'm driving myself crazy with the threads suggesting everyone should wait as the MBP is due for an upgrade. My 13" base MBP is due to arrive Friday. I mainly just surf the internet, upload pics and some videos I've taken with my camera. My 6 year old HP desktop is very slow. I'm sure anything has to be better than it :). Technically, I could wait, but for my needs, I don't think I need to wait.
     
  5. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    East Cost
    #5
    I would say the majority of people have no need for waiting. I am only waiting in hopes of new graphic card.

    Good luck!! Good choice :]
     
  6. deeddawg macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2010
    Location:
    US
    #6
    Here's another thing -- if you're able to get a decent discount now on a system, then chances are that a couple months after Sandy Bridge comes out you could easily sell today's MBP for not much of a loss and buy the new one.

    I mean, with craigslist, ebay, and so forth it isn't like you're stuck with what you buy today for ever and ever.

    Still; if you don't need a system today it's usually best to wait. The difficulty is discerning the difference between "need" and "want"... :D
     
  7. Julpride macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2010
    #7
    Especially if it's a shiny MacBook Pro. >_<

    That being said. I am part of the gang that is somewhat disappointed with the current graphics coupled with an i7 core.

    It's like you are running with your feet, seated on a bicycle. If you know what I mean.

    To those that absolutely need it, e.g. an essentially bricked notebook, get it. Nicely done Hangman. =)
     
  8. mark28 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2010
    #8
    I don't really share the view that Sandy Bridge will come early 2011, since we have seen how slow Apple is with adopting new technology.

    And if people can wait this long for Sandy Bridge, then they probably will wait for Ivy Bridge which is will be released soon after Sandy Bridge. It's the good old waiting game.
     
  9. Julpride macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2010
    #9
    Hmm, if you don't mind me asking for a favour. Could you pull out some data on how quick Apple adopted Nehalem/Westmere? I be a lazy ass. :p
     
  10. mark28 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2010
    #10
    Apple came 3 months later with the Arrendale MBP than Sony for example.

    And Apple was using only C2D cpu's when everybody was having core i7 Quad core CPU's in 2009.
     

Share This Page