To Those That Thought The Pre Had One Up On The Iphone!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xcuzememizz, Jun 6, 2009.

1. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Hahahahahahahahaha

Whoooooops. Guess C&P needs a little update

2. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

3. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

well...youll find out soon enough the the copy/paste feature in 3.0 isnt all its cracked up to be either. i mean, its good..i use it every day..and its WAY more useful than what the pre currently has for copy/paste functionality..but there are a few issues when selecting text with the iphone.
    for example..any time you are on a web page with formatted text like in a table or something (like i go to vcdq.com and select text strings to copy into tpb for a download..in order to add it to uTorrent download remotely using utorrents webui)...cant select just the text I want. It will only allow selection of all of the text in the cell of the table...and this happens with various formats.
    so i have to paste it to notes, then select and copy what i need.

4. The General macrumors 601

Having been using it in 3.0 for a few months now, I can tell you - It's fantastic.

In response to your vcdq.com example, are you saying you're unable to select text like this?

[​IMG]

Did you know if you zoom way in on text and then double tap and hold on a word, it selects just that word, then you can use the grab handles to adjust your selection?

Safari text selection is awesome.

5. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

no...thats not what I am saying

hold on...

dude, stop being so damn content..apple can still make improvements you know.

people like you are going to stop 3.0 dead in its tracks..lol

seriously though...ill be right back to show you what im talking about

I STILL LIKE MY IPHONE..

/sarcasm

6. The General macrumors 601

You said you wanted to select parts of text in a cell, not everything in a cell. So you mean like this, then?

[​IMG]

Just go to that site on your computer, select the text that you need to select on the iPhone, take a screenshot. Then, I'll post a screenshot of me selecting it on the iPhone.

7. fratboy macrumors regular

8. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

damn...LOOK AT YOU

.i just spent all this time trying to make screenshots..then i get back here and saw what you said about zooming ALL the way in...haha

well look at that, awesome man!

honestly..i have been going through everything to get that to work (and i am using fgbrowser for the full screen features and whatnot...and it doesnt let you zoom in as much apparently...i went into safari and it worked)

your second example above is exactly what i needed to do!

I TAKE BACK WHAT I SAID UP THERE near the top..

YOU WIN THIS TIME GENERAL..hehe

ill still bet that 20 though...

9. joshellis625 macrumors 6502

joshellis625

"and i am using fgbrowser"

Doesn't that answer your question in the first place? Why would you even use another browser. I find that ridiculous.

Just my 2 cents.

10. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

11. bostonte macrumors regular

12. slapppy macrumors 65816

Wait till you find out how copy and paste works on the Pre. After bragging about it and taking a diract shot on the iPhone, I think that was a dumb desperate move. Pre copy and pasted is laughable because of their bragging.

13. GenNovE macrumors member

At least the pre had and half assed attempt at copy and paste during launch the iphone got its half assed attempt only 2 years later.

Just imagine how advanced the pre will be by then. The iphone should get email any attachment in 2011 and get credit for creating it :)

14. Amorpheus macrumors member

I love it when dumb people collide with reality.

15. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

That's right. I read the rumor where Apple is ceasing all work on the iPhone OS, so that the Pre can get to where they need to be.

From the looks of it, the Pre design team had a big checklist labelled "What The iPhone Doesn't Have That We Can Include and Brag About." The Pre is missing some things that Apple had out of the gate.

Besides, how many man hours did the Pre team save by piggybacking off of Apple's sync software?

16. Tunnelrunner macrumors regular

I'm actually pretty shocked. It's been years now, but I thought my old Treo 700p could copy/paste HTML, plain text, etc., via the touch stylus. You'd think the most powerful Palm device ever could do the same. Surprising to say the least. It's ironic that C/P was the one feature I missed most when I switched from the Palm Treo to my present iPhone 3G...and now the tables are turned where Apple actually has the better C/P implementation.

17. fratboy macrumors regular

yeah your totally right.. why not make a crappy crippled version of copy paste right now that is almost useless..

while apple took its time and made a EASY and elegant method of copy paste

18. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

People say give Palm time... yeah.

This is 2009. So will the Pre have full Copy/Paste by 2011?

19. slapppy macrumors 65816

Guess you never saw the 3.0 preview. Apple iPhone version blows the Pre away big time. Palm brags about it and gets blown away from a company that's been at it for only a little more than two years. hahaha

20. GenNovE macrumors member

Actually yes I have seen it and experienced it.
    Been running O.S 3.0 since beta 1 now in Beta 5.

All I said was at least the pre have copy and paste implemented
    the iphone lacked this option till this year.

21. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

Oddly the iPhone was not competing with the Pre until today...

Yes, Apple left out some features. People makes all kinds of excuses, usually saying Apple focused on what they felt like focusing on. I'm sure they haven't been twiddling their thumbs, they just didn't have it ready. It certainly hasn't killed sales and yet here it is, ready to compete with it's closest competition.

As someone else mentioned, Apple started from zero. Palm has been making smartphones since around the time Apple made the iPod - so your timeline comparison is a little off.

22. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

Exactly they had a checklist of what the iphone lacked and that is what they based their whole product development on, you can even tell by the way they present the phone.