To Those that Use the ATV for Streaming Music

Scarpad

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Are you connecting via HDMI to the receiver, Toslink, or are you using a Dac ?

I love the Airplay ability to use the device Headless and Control it with the Ipad, what are you finding is the best way to go for connection ?

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
AppleTV to a Pioneer VSX-1021 via HDMI - works perfect, sound fantastic.

I haven’t done any serious critical listening, but it sounds like streaming from an iOS device vs. playing directly sounds the same (some folks have suggested there’s some additional compression across AirPlay).

We stream quite a bit of video too, same thing, sounds and looks outstanding.

I’ll occasionally go direct to the receiver just because it automatically turns on (from standby) and switches to the AirPlay input :D

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
I use HDMI to my AVR. I also use optical into a Toslink-to-RCA converter to also connect to the AVR for Zone 2 (outside by the pool). Works great, but sure wish that AVRs could convert a digital input to stereo for multi-zone applications.

Gozar

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2011
Austin, TX
ATV2 HDMI > Onkyo PR-SC5507 > Emotiva UPA-7 > PSB T-65's > blissfully happy ears

iPad Air w/oRemote for Onkyo & Remote for ATV2

:)

somemacuser

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2010
I use HDMI to my AVR. I also use optical into a Toslink-to-RCA converter to also connect to the AVR for Zone 2 (outside by the pool). Works great, but sure wish that AVRs could convert a digital input to stereo for multi-zone applications.
Same... bought some kind of $25 amazon optical to RCA thingy for zone 2. Has worked without issue. Using Homesharing with ALL my music + the iPad remote app for the AppleTV is really one of the greatest toys ever for me.. instant jukebox. I've been loving it for years.

If apple ever "upgrades" their stuff so a setup like this no longer is in the cards, I'll be furious.

MickeyVee

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2009
Canada
Here's how I'm setup..
- HDMI > Rotel AVR for Video for causal/background audio
- Optical > Rega DAC > Rotel AVR for a serious sitback and listen
All controlled via iPad rMini

Hoping Apple will do HiRez streaming on the new ATV and I will be in heaven.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I know you asked about ATV, but thought I'd pop in here. For pure music streaming, I use my Airport Express that's directly connected to my receiver via L/R RCA 3.5mm cable. Sometimes, I also use my ATV to stream if I want to see album info, etc and with that, I connect via HDMI to my ATV to the receiver.

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
Even with optical, I have to turn on the TV before the music starts playing on my speakers. Is there a way to avoid this hassle?