To those who are complaining about USB3.0

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by surma884, Mar 6, 2011.

1. surma884 macrumors regular

It's good that Apple didn't include USB3.0 because it is already too slow. USB3.0 is only 5Gb/s, but the SATA III spec is 6Gb/s. So as the HDDs get faster, USB will again be the bottleneck. USB3.0 came way too late. We have SSDs now that will need 6Gb/s to operate fully.

Thunderbolt (LightPeak) is the better solution because it is 10Gb/s, and there is a high probability that we will see a Thunderbolt to USB3.0 adapter. Which means you would be able to use USB3.0 devices.

2. baxnet macrumors member

baxnet

To be fair, USB 3.0 may have come too late, but Thunderbolt came pretty early as well.

Raise your hand if you've made some really good use out of your TB port thus far :rolleyes:

3. skidmarc macrumors member

PM me when you have a HDD/SDD that gets 10Gbit throughput or 6Gbit throughput for that matter. The connection is not the bottleneck.

4. altecXP macrumors 65816

So you are expecting Thunderbolt external HDD's and thumb drives to out sell USB thumb drives and external HHD's? Sure Raids sure Thunderbold is faster then USB but so was FireWire.

But until TB gets to the market with cables, and drives that the normal person buys then USB 3.0 will be gaining ground everywhere else. TB still needs to catch up before it can think about winning.

5. lesyork macrumors member

I'm pretty sure the Vertex 3 just got pretty close to 6Gbit.

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I'm pretty sure a USB 3.0 port will be more useful than a Thunderport. Considering USB 3.0 peripherals exist, ya know ;)

7. skidmarc macrumors member

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that drives will not become faster. I will say that drives will not be able to sustain the throughput advertised by their connection. A peak throughput sure, not continuous.

And yes Apple made a mistake by not integrating a USB 3.0 port, this would allow for easier backwards compatibility with USB 2.0/1.0 drives and allow for a faster throughput. Lightpeak will require an adapter that you have to carry around with you...when it comes out of course.

8. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

IMO Apple should have added USB 3.0 in addition to Thunderbolt since its backwards compatible and there's peripherals now with it available.