Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
Don't be so certain you're not able to use oled. I'm a long time Android user, and my 8+ was my first iPhone besides an old work issued iPhone 4 or 5.

I've owned nearly every Galaxy S phone before the s9. Owned multiple OnePlus phones. I'm typing this now on an oled Moto Z Play.

I bought an XS Max at launch, but I couldn't use it for more than 10 minutes without a headache. I get a headache probably once every few years, so that was highly unusual. I put the phone down for the day and tried again the following day. Same situation. I gave it one more day, but the headaches returned and this time it took 2 days to shake it. I had already sold my 8+, and the XR was still another month or so away. I picked up another 8+, which is a solid phone.

Those of us who suffer from pwm are not necessarily excluded from using oled. It's something in the way Apple implements it. The weird thing is that apple uses Samsung screens. So do the Galaxy phones (obviously) and even OnePlus. Both of those I have never had an issue with.

I know this current generation is out for us, but hopefully apple makes some changes. OLED is better, it just is. Apple makes a nice LCD, but oled does things no LCD can possibly do.

Reactions: dazz87

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
It's well documented that 's OLED screens are messed up as far as eye strain is concerned.
Which is a shame since Samsung makes them to Apple's spec. Not sure what the issue is, but Samsung has proven to be able to make OLED screens for themselves and other brands that don't have those headache inducing issues.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
It’s not like going from old school tube tv to HD, but the difference is obvious if you compare the XR right next to the 8+ and a Max. This isn’t insulting the XR, it’s something that is readily apparent. I brought home an XR for a week and decided not to keep it. I asked my 10 year old if she wanted it and I would sell her 8+. She said something was wrong with the XR because it wasn’t as clear as her phone. People who own an XR are obviously trying to defend their product of choice. I honestly would say the XR is better than the 8+ in more ways than not, but the feel in hand and 828p are 2 things I can’t overlook. Better camera, battery life, internals and value for sure in the XR. I just can’t do it.

stafil

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2017
Check the long post on here about it eye strain from the X. Those of us who suffer are most likely a tiny minority, however.
I am having trouble with it too. I guess I misunderstood what you meant by “well documented”

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I can easily tell the difference at arm's length. The color is good, but text is a bit blurry and harder to follow.

I hold my XR next to my daughter’s XS and can barely see a difference. I’m certainly having zero issues with my XR 6 inches from my face - text is crisp as can be.

I had an 8+ before going to a Max and not being able to tolerate the OLED, so it’s not like I haven’t had a “better” screen; just do not think the clarity is an issue at all.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I notice a difference when watching dark scenes in videos. The oled is much blacker than lcd. Lcd is more gray.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
I couldn't use the X at all and the XS Max while not as bad still caused eye strain. The colour shift was so apparant to my eyes it looked like a shimmery rainbow effect.

No issues using a Note 9 but can still see the standard OLED colour shift when tilting. The curved displays on Samsung phones are pointless and annoying to me and I can't/won't shift to Android.

The XRs lower resolution is also obvious to me especially when compared with my 7+. Hoping for 1080p XR2 this year or will use my 7+ till it dies I guess then get an 8+ cheap.

Reactions: dazz87

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Also, don't always be certain your PWM issues won't go away.
I don't suffer eye strain from OLED any longer, and I adjusted.

I realize there are many that won't be the case, but some of us have adjusted to the OLED.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.