To those who bought a 3G less than 30 days go

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Versus, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Versus macrumors member

*ago

I know there are a few of you out there. I too was one of those that Googled "new iphone 2009" the day after I brought the 3G home. Thankfully I found macrumors to set me straight in time.

Anyway, after getting home from work, I boxed up the 3G, grabbed my receipt, and headed over to the original ATT store where I purchased my phone on 5-29-09. As information on the 3G is less than a few hours old, they were not 100% sure if anything could be done about my situation in lieu of canceling. They suggested that I wait it out until they knew more or they would be happy to return the 3G and preorder the 3GS if I chose. I didn't want to take any chances, so I went ahead with my original plan.

Of course I had to pay the restocking fee on the 3G and will get charged the original activation fee, but I was indeed able to get the 32GB 3GS for the $299 price with no hassles whatsoever. Also of note, they offered to credit my account the $100 if I chose to keep the 3G. I'm sure your milage may vary, but they were very cool about the whole thing and even suggested after picking up my new phone (they will open at 7am on 6/19) to call customer service and they may wave the new activation fee for the 3GS. I'm not holding my breath on that, but I thought I should point out the possibilty.

So, if you happened to be like me and purchased a 3G on impulse before knowing the facts about the 3GS, you still have time.

Hope that helps someone.

2. skyy macrumors member

Thank you for the information! I'll probably call my local Apple Store in a few days and see what they say. I'd probably just take the $100 credit to avoid the hassle.

3. blearyeyedme macrumors newbie

I wonder if AT&T is offering the same credit. I just got my wife a 3G last week, not knowing anything about the new model. And since the 8gb was $199 and is now at $99, I wonder if AT&T will offer the credit...

4. hcoteen2008 macrumors regular

I bought an iPhone 3G 8GB from Wal-Mart on May 28 and I just took it back today and just exchanged it for a White iPhone 3G 16GB and got 50.00 dollars back. The iPhone 16GB are 150 now. I don't think the 3GStupid is worth it. I will just wait until next summer when I am upgrade eligibility.

5. blearyeyedme macrumors newbie

Went up to the AT&T store and they were very quick to offer the $100 credit. No one should have any issues at the AT&T store. The only thing is that it's an account credit. But unless you really want the cash, it shouldn't be an issue. :cool:

6. hcoteen2008 macrumors regular

What did you say to them?

7. hcoteen2008 macrumors regular

I got my $100 credit. I called them and the Rep was really nice and she said that she got several phone calls and I was the only one to get the credit.

8. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

If you just bought your iPhone, you won't be upgrade eligible next year...

9. blearyeyedme macrumors newbie

Sorry to reply so late.

I told them that I had just bought an iphone last week for my wife and that I heard that the price had just dropped. The woman I saw in the store quickly offered me the credit, before I could say anything else. She was very helpful.

Glad to hear you got your credit as well.

Cheers! :cool:

10. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

That would suck if you got your 3G 45 days ago. i don't think they would take them back...

James

11. blearyeyedme macrumors newbie

It would really suck if you just got your 3G 31 days ago.

12. kzoojason76 macrumors member

Why would it suck. All it means is, that you have had 31 days of enjoyment with your new iPhone. Upgrades happen.

13. modulonix macrumors newbie

If I return my 3G and wait for the 3G-S I won't have a phone for at least 10 days. Anyone know how I can still receive calls on the same number during that time?

14. Versus thread starter macrumors member

Actually, in ATT's press release they claimed that anyone who bought their 3G after May 8th, "could hang onto their current 3G until your 3G S was available".

Of course I didn't know this (neither did they) when I went there hours after the keynote on the 8th, so I handed mine over. I'm kinda glad I did, actually. I'd rather it be safely in their hands. Can you imagine if something accidentally happened to it within the next 8 days?! That would suck.

I believe you have to go to your ATT store and preorder the 3G S in order for this to be honored, though. Either way, I would call them or visit in person.