To those who got the iP4 on launch...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rye9, Sep 12, 2011.

?

Getting the iP5? (or 4S)

1. Yes, on launch if I get the subsidized price ($199)

16 vote(s)
    55.2%
  2. Yes, when I'm eligible to upgrade

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  3. Yes, but I am upgrading from a 3G/3GS

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  4. No, I'll wait for the next revision

7 vote(s)
    24.1%
  1. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

Do you plan on getting the new iPhone if AT&T bumps up your upgrade? (Assuming it's currently set to 11/25)

2. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

You missed a poll option for "want to upgrade but can't afford it!" boo hoo :(

3. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

4. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I get my updates every 12 months, so I will be buying on launch again.

5. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

You should have given an option for:

I have a 4 at launch and will pay whatever price i am asked to pay for the 5

I am sure i am not alone in that sentiment :)

:D

(Seriously nothing says you have to wait ever)

6. mountains macrumors regular

I'll pay whatever price if it's an iPhone 5 / runs significantly newer hardware. If it turns out the iPhone 4s is just a rehash, I wouldn't pay a dime for it.

7. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

I shared this sentiment as well until literally a few days ago; even after months of iPhone 4S/5 rumors I still held no interest. But with a screwy home button and scratched glass over the camera; and my upgrade eligibility not anywhere near 2 years after purchase, I've decided an upgrade might be worth it after all. Especially if Apple continues this cycle of >12 month refreshes, I'd rather not be waiting another year and a half with this sub-perfect phone (only due to wear) to upgrade.

8. obsidian1200 macrumors 6502

obsidian1200

This pretty much sums up my feelings on the subject. I used to really like the iPhone 4 design, but not so much any more.

9. fkhan3 macrumors 6502

+1 and this time Factory Unlocked FTW! :D

10. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

We don't know what the iPhone 5 is yet. I'll answer when we do :p

11. dorky24 macrumors newbie

I've been waiting to get the iPhone once it finally meets my own requirements. iPhone 4 was a huge step up from the 3GS. The only thing it needs is a bigger screen. Once it hits at least 3.7 inches, I'm down to get it. Though 4 inches is preferable. and 64 gigs of storage would be nice

12. paulsdenton macrumors 6502

paulsdenton

I can't believe it will just be a refresh...

The competition from Android is just too intense. My grandsons all want them and think the iPhone is boring. All their friends say the same thing. More choice of features, etc. Are cited. Apple just can't afford to ignore this emerging market. These are 'Tweens and teens ranging from 11 to 16. The future, in other words. I hope Apple doesn't imitate Harley-Davidson which rode my demographic to awesome growth just to see us get too old to be a viable market!

About upgrading; when I got my iPhone 4 at launch I had only had the 3GS for a year. Still, AT&T only charged me $18 to upgrade. I expected to get hit much harder than this. Hope that happens again!

I'll get a "5" if it offers a reasonable upgrade. I have to say that the iPhone 4 is a pretty darn good unit though. It could last me another year or so!

13. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

Agreed on the first paragraph and that that iPhone 4 has been amazing as well.

Do you guys recommend I spend the $30 for Apple to replace the glass back (that's what the Apple Store said they'd do, so that I can actually take pics again [they come out terribly hazy]) if the new iPhone, when announced, is lackluster? I don't know what to do about the home button issue though; whether it's hardware/firmware or software related...

14. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I was at the genius bar yesterday, and a man with a broken back and water damage had his entire phone replaced for free.

15. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Never signed up for att, but still bought the iPhone on launch day at full price! :D Sold my iPhone 4 months ago for $550 now my body is ready for the iPhone 5 haha