To those who have bumpers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gagoots, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Gagoots macrumors regular

What do they feel like, hard plastic?

Do they add much weight to the phone?

Are they protective of just the antenna, or the entire phone?

Thanks! I hate any sort of case, but with all of the reception / broken glass claims coupled with the minimal footprint of this case, I'm thinking about letting Steve snow Jobs send me a free one.

2. army91c macrumors 6502a

I will be picking up a bumper today. Had one in my hand but put it balk. Gotta protect it. I wanted to go naked but would rather not have the issues with cracking screen. It is glass after all :D

3. wkennedy74 macrumors member

Around the center of it, it is a harder shiny plastic, seems sturdy enough. The edges of it are a littler softer which is nice because it makes it more grippy and keeps it from sliding on a flat surface. One thing I didn't notice from pics of them, is that they have their own buttons built in for the volume and lock. So it looks pretty sharp when it is on. Not nearly as sharp as the phone naked, but like you, I would rather protect it than crack it :) It doesn't really add much weight but it does make it about the same width as previous models.

4. Gagoots thread starter macrumors regular

I think I'd rather go with the expensive case called squaretrade.

5. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

It has a nice feel to it. It's not worth $30, but I like it for now. :D

6. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

It really does feel great in the hand. It is a softer rubber at the edges very similar to the border of the Speck Candyshells if you have ever seen those. This is nice as it keeps the phone from sliding around on hard surfaces. It seems to slide in and out of pockets pretty well although does hang up a tad if you are putting it in tight pockets like with jeans or something. The rest is a hard plastic. The really nice thing is that the sleep/wake and volume buttons are actual brushed metal buttons. They are not just cutouts. Buttons are very responsive and clicky, just like if they were not even covered up. It adds really no noticeable weight, no bulk really as it is just the edges. Seems to take care of the signal issue mostly as well. It does protect the phone too as my son already dropped my phone once this AM onto the tile floor from about 2 feet up. :( No problems with the phone at all though thank goodness. Had the bumper on it. :)

Like others have said, it does make it a bit difficult to reach the silent switch as you kind of have to dig in and flick it with a fingernail or something. Also, it may provide some difficulty with certain headphone jacks, although I am really just guessing about that . It is not that deep, but I don't know. I am sure someone would say they can't use their headphones with it. :rolleyes: Personally I use bluetooth headphones anyways with it. :D