Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

STC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 14, 2008
My wife has a jailbroken 1.1.4 phone and wants to upgrade to 2.0.
I know when she upgrades the phone wont be jailbroken anymore (and thats fine).

I've been reading on different places that the process is:
-wipe out all data on phone
-install new fw
-restores data from backup on the phone.
Taking approx 45-50 mins.
Is this right?

She wants to know if the process will take a long time? (shes upgraded firmware since 1.1.1 and said it only took 15 mins each time). She doesnt want to lose any data (a lot of contacts).

colcass

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
UK
i did it today on my ipod touch, i have bought the 3G iphone but did not have the original
when getting 2.0 on the touch it did take about 45 mins, but all data was on there (anyway it is synced with ical and contacts so it was all backed up)

halesvb11

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
just outside Chicago
i did it

depends on how much stuff you have on there. i have about 6GB of free space on a 16GB phone and it took like 30mins. nothing major, do it before you go to bed, or while your wife is in the shower :D

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I upgraded on Friday. Unfortunately, it took 2-3 hours because I kept getting errors in iTunes due to the heavy load. Hopefully that should be cleared up by now. Otherwise, it seemed to take 30-45 minutes for the upgrade. I would recommend that your wife syncs her phone before doing the upgrade. Then resync to do the upgrade.

bstpierre

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
The long part for me was reloading all the media (which it does when it resyncs at the end). I have just over 1100 songs on it and a couple of video clips and some podcasts. It took a while to load all that stuff but the update wasn't too bad, at least 30 minutes for the update.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
if she doesn't have a lot of music or videos on her iPhone, then it will probably be much faster. The actual firmware upgrade for me only took about 10-15 minutes, tops. It was the transferring back of 7.5GB worth of music and movies that took the longest time (about 30 extra minutes).

STC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 14, 2008
if she doesn't have a lot of music or videos on her iPhone, then it will probably be much faster. The actual firmware upgrade for me only took about 10-15 minutes, tops. It was the transferring back of 7.5GB worth of music and movies that took the longest time (about 30 extra minutes).

Thx guys for the replies.
She does have approx 6GB worth of music, shows, and podcasts on her 8GB.

ChrisN

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2007
Demarest, NJ
I upgraded yesterday at 9pm est and it was very smooth, it took me maybe 20 minutes (45? not for me :) ) I like 2.0 a lot too.'

ChrisN

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.