Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

esaelias187

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2017
SO hear me out

i had a series 1 no pain no hand pain wrist etc
series 2 no issue
series 3 no issue
series 4 issue
series 5 issue

i love apple watches i tried everything....changing tightness, changing bands, blocking sensors it would hurt after wearing for a full day

i wear other watches no pain

so when the Apple watch se came out i realised it had no ecg sensor, apple series 4 was the first watch to have ecg and cause pain

i got the SE wore it for a full day and so far no pain

trust me this isnt a placebo affect i did the same test on family members and two members out of 5 had the similar pain to me

i will keep testing

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Had a burning sensation with the 4 and 5. I believe the backs of these two series were slightly different Than their predecessors.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Most likely a spurious correlation.

I don't doubt that the two events (wearing an S4/S5, and wrist pain) are strongly correlated for the OP; it appears you have done enough testing to be convinced this is the case.
What is very much in doubt is whether the correlation is causal or spurious. This is much more difficult to determine.

Last edited:

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I noticed that for me, I would get the hiccups more frequently with the Series 4, but since I’ve had the Series 5 it got better. Hard to explain but I’m wondering if there’s some kind of vibration that caused me to get the hiccups more frequently.

Last edited:

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Not so much as an intent to disprove your theory rather more information for your analysis.

I'm a first time Apple Watch owner -- which is both helpful and not to your analysis. I wore the Apple Nike Sport Band for the first week then moved to a third-party Nike Sport Band. What (as a first timer) I didn't quickly realize is the band I had was a small/medium -- it was a packaging mistake of two S/M sections. The tightness was okay on the very last, furthest from watch body, hole. However, the tip of the band would pop/jump out from being tucked under. Therefore, I tried the next tightest adjustment. It was slightly uncomfortable but nothing painful (at first) -- and I had read about plenty of users needing to go slightly too snug with the Solo Loop, so I believed it shouldn't be a problem. Well, occasionally, my hand would be slightly sore, then sometimes the knuckle area would be a little tender to the touch (almost as if I had recently had an IV needle). I loosened the band one notch again, the problem very slowly dissipated, so slow that I thought it was perhaps a one-time positioning fluke or something. A couple of weeks later, I was finally ready to review the watch bands. After removing all of the band parts from both packages -- different color schemes -- to get photographs, I then finally saw the band I had been wearing wasn't a M/L size. I tried the other band, which did contain a M/L band section, at the tightness I originally thought was comfortable -- though with this band's extra length, the end would stay tucked away no matter what. Since that point, no discomfort whatsoever.

Lastly, the tightness I wear at now is comfortable, snug enough to allow consistent HR measurements and prevent the watch from sliding, although, does leave a temporary, evident, imprinted circle of the sensor/charge dome on my wrist.

Last edited:

vroman

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2021
SO hear me out

i had a series 1 no pain no hand pain wrist etc
series 2 no issue
series 3 no issue
series 4 issue
series 5 issue

i love apple watches i tried everything....changing tightness, changing bands, blocking sensors it would hurt after wearing for a full day

i wear other watches no pain

so when the Apple watch se came out i realised it had no ecg sensor, apple series 4 was the first watch to have ecg and cause pain

i got the SE wore it for a full day and so far no pain

trust me this isnt a placebo affect i did the same test on family members and two members out of 5 had the similar pain to me

i will keep testing
I just got the SE 44mm and after 5 days I started feeling a very odd pain in my wrist. I've exchanged it for the 40mm and just waiting for the pain to go away and try it again. I don't know if may be because the new arm/wrist movement and looking at it very often or because some electromagnetics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.