To those who Purchased the 20" C2D iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by astewart, Sep 15, 2006.

  1. astewart macrumors member

    Sep 12, 2006
    I have started my own Blog in reference to the 20" C2D iMac.

    The site content will mainly focus in on my personal thoughts and performance reviews of the 20" C2D iMac, along with some mini reviews and "real World" Benchmarks. This will help those who are looking into buying a new iMac (or any Mac with Similar Tech Specs.) a first hand look and feel for what they should expect, hopefully helping them make there final decision a little easier.
    Click on the Link below:

    My iMac Experiense

  2. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a


    Sep 28, 2004
    Looking good. I can't wait for mine to be delivered either. Wednesday can't come soon enough
  3. Matt T macrumors regular

    Matt T

    Dec 1, 2005
    Good idea. I ordered mine the day it was released - mine has the same specs as yours except I upgraded to the 2.33Ghz processor. It will be interesting to see how much difference it makes.
  4. nchu429 macrumors newbie

    Aug 14, 2006
    thanks. I'm looking to buy a 20" C2D iMac really soon
  5. jwhoo72 macrumors newbie

    Sep 16, 2006
    deciding when to buy

    Hello iMacsters,

    I am finally needing to buy my own setup to do freelance graphics/ongoing drudgery of portfolio maintenance at home office...until now I've gotten by on employer's machines at "day job." I am looking most seriously at 20" iMac since I'm very cramped for space, yet the portability of a laptop is not worth the extra $ for me.

    My timing isn't great, since Rosetta will cramp my style in CS2. SO the question is: For someone who does not have an older (pre-intel) machine available to coast on until UniBin CS3 & MS Office, etc. launch, should I just bite the bullet and deal with the lame performance of non-native apps for a few (<6 mos.!), or is there a chance that if I wait for both, prices may change for the better/bugs (if any) will get flushed out of iMac while I wait for Adobe to catch up?

    And, besides the Rosetta lag, is there any other reason why a graphic designer should feel a bit silly using an iMac? (The specs look fine so far...) Since I don't want a bulky tower or super-pricey-finicky laptop, the iMac seems to fit the bill, but let me know if I'm overlooking a better option.

    Thanks all!
  6. carfac macrumors 65816


    Feb 18, 2006

    I have been using the Intel core duo with 1.5 gigs. I have both Office and Adobe Photo ELEMNETS, not CS2. In my experience, Office is nothing to worry about. Not a terribly processor intensive item- I am (severly! :D ) limited by how fast or slow I type. So no big there.

    Photo Elements is not super swift, but not terribly bad. Again, depends on what you do- apply a lot of filters, you may be hating life. Cropping and saving, you are good to go.

    The REAL question for both is do you currently own the current versions, or would you buy them? If you own them, I say go for it. If you have to buy them, and are looking at re-purchase inside of 6 months, I would say wait. These are both $$$$$ progs, not cheap at all. To pay twice for them in half a year would make me think twice.

  7. astewart thread starter macrumors member

    Sep 12, 2006
    In my eyes I think the change is worth it. I do use abit of CS2 and it will be interesting to see how much of a Lag there will be...
  8. Grunze macrumors regular


    Aug 16, 2006
    Hey guys,

    I'm awaiting my 24"er to arrive, however I've been doing some photoshop and after effects work on a 17" mbp and it isn't that slow. Things of course do take a bit longer, but it certainly isn't unbearable.. plus the newer imacs are faster than the macbook pros....

    Good luck.:D
  9. astewart thread starter macrumors member

    Sep 12, 2006
    Well thats good to know. :)
    I'm sure Running CS2 under Rosetta will still be faster then running CS2 on my G4 Powermac 1.2GHz (Applying Filters, etc.)....:)
  10. freebooter macrumors 65816


    Feb 24, 2005
    Daegu, South Korea
    Good idea. I'm currently, inwardly debating on what to get to upgrad e from my mini mac ppc 1.42. Choices: iMac 20 or 24, or a MBP 17 C2.

Share This Page