To Those who reserved at Apple AND bought from AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by m8875, Oct 7, 2011.

1. m8875 macrumors newbie

Hi, so yesterday I put in Apple reservation and got the confirm email. However, within minutes, I was able to preorder directly from AT&T and got confirm email as well. I thought my apple reservation would just automatically die. However, this morning I got an email from apple to complete my purchase. I already see on my credit card pending charge from AT&T and on AT&T I don't qualify for the $199 price should I re-order again. However, if I were to complete my Apple reservation, it's still $199. I know it's a glitch in the system and I'm tempted to take a chance and complete my Apple reservation as well. This way I get 2 iphones at $199 but only on one line. I can sell it later :D ... What do you guys think...if I confirm the apple reservation, will the 2 orders just kill each other?? Or do you guys think I'll luck out?

2. Chief Oddball macrumors regular

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember last year with the i4 launch, people who completed the order submission process at more than one site had both of their orders cancel each other out. I wouldn't take that chance. AT&T's not going to give you the subsidized rate on more than one phone.

I did the same thing -- got a reservation at Apple, but after an hour and a half and no email, I submitted an order with AT&T. This morning I got an email from Apple saying something to the effect of, "Sorry, we couldn't complete your order." I trust that the reservation basically expired -- or that by the time Apple went to check my upgrade eligibility, I'd already purchased from AT&T and thus was no longer eligible.

3. Tones2 macrumors 65816

Good luck actually completing your Apple reservation order. It probably won't go through anyway, as many of us are having issues.

Tony

4. c5ride macrumors member

Just a word of caution, and this is in no way meant to scare you, BUT:

With the IP4 launch, I was able to get an order with ATT through to last step before confirmation when their servers crashed, no email, nothing, so I suspected the order did not go through. I was able to get an order placed with Apple.com soon after. 2 Days later ATT sent me a confirmation email, so I cancelled that one. Well 3 days before delivery, Apple cancelled my order with them because they still showed I had used my upgrade for a phone through ATT. I was so pissed. Please make sure early that the ATT order did not place, and if it did, cancell and have them revert your upgrade eligibility. Only ATT can do it.

5. m8875 thread starter macrumors newbie

Chief, ok good to know that! Wow, you got a cancellation email from Apple? Why do you think I didn't? Do they go and re-verify people again after payment? But I suppose it makes sense that the 2 orders may cancel each other out because they have to assign the sim to our numbers right?

----------

OMG...lol i got order confirm email from ATT and when I check my current upgrade eligibility on ATT and apple, both are saying I'm not eligible anymore. However, the apple reservation told me to complete order with the subsidized price. Do you think I should just leave the reservation confirmation alone or call both of them to make sure my pre-order isn't messed up? So did you end up getting the iphone 4 from ATT? I assume not since you cancelled right?

----------

TOny, alright I'll leave my apple.com order alone and have faith that the ATT I placed yesterday won't choke next week lol

6. BassetCase macrumors member

I have 2 reservations with Apple but after that I just went to the AT&T website and ordered there. Got both confirmations from AT&T with the subsidized price. Do you think I will be okay if I just ignore Apple's email and not complete the order with them? What do I do? I am scared now.

7. Chief Oddball macrumors regular

m8875, in your situation, since you got an order confirmation email from AT&T, I would leave it at that. Don't try to complete the Apple pre-order.

As to why you didn't get the same email from Apple that I did, I have no idea -- but there are a lot of inconsistencies with this process, as lots of people are reporting different things. I, for example, ordered from AT&T but never received a confirmation email from them. However, my credit card was charged and I can see the order in my AT&T account when I log into their website -- or when I call them for an order status -- so I'm confident that my order got through and is waiting for shipment.

8. madridista59 macrumors regular

placed my order through at&t and received confirmation email in the early morning. got an apple reservation as back up. few hours woke up to an apple email telling me to complete my order, and i figure i'd ignore it let that expire since i got at&t to go through. well an hour ago at&t emails saying my order couldn't be completed to call with another payment method within 7 days or it'll be cancelled.

checked my cc and saw only $1 pending from apple. nothing from at&t. called my cc, they had 300 and change pending from at&t. had csr cancel both pending charges and she waited on the line with me as i went to complete my apple reservation and instantly she saw the charge from apple for the entire order.

so now i'm trying to expressly cancel at&t order and not let it get to 7 days in case apple sees this and cancels my order too leaving me phoneless! needless to say, it's been pretty tough reaching a live person at at&t this morning :eek:

9. m8875 thread starter macrumors newbie

So you're in the same situation as I am...Yeah what do we do?? LOL our reservation expire tomorrow...I'm assuming it'll be ok because I already got pending charges on ATT...Let mek know if you find anything else

10. c5ride macrumors member

OMG...lol i got order confirm email from ATT and when I check my current upgrade eligibility on ATT and apple, both are saying I'm not eligible anymore. However, the apple reservation told me to complete order with the subsidized price. Do you think I should just leave the reservation confirmation alone or call both of them to make sure my pre-order isn't messed up? So did you end up getting the iphone 4 from ATT? I assume not since you cancelled right?[/QUOTE]

Once this happened, the only thing I could do was an Apple rep on the phone was nice enough to call an Apple store and reserve me one for launch day. So I had to go stand in line, but my name was on a list and was able to get it.

It's tough to say what you should do, sorry. I know you won't get both, but I don't know if ATT and Apple could both cancel the orders??

11. BassetCase macrumors member

Just called AT&T. "Due to circumstances beyond our control, we cannot take your call at this time. Please call back again later. " :-(

12. m8875 thread starter macrumors newbie

13. woodekm, Oct 7, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011

woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

I did Apples first, didnt trust the "great computer" would be able to "figure out" my AT&T FAN discount, so I went to ATT and reserved, Paid, got confirmation email.

2 hours later got the confirmation email from Apple to "complete order", which I will let expire tomorrow, and hope everything goes well with my ATT order. Seem OK so far.

14. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Not to jinx you but this sounds like a real good way to screw up your upgrade eligibility. Good luck and hope it works out for you.

15. madridista59 macrumors regular

if i successfully cancel my at&t order? ya think? what would you suggest?

btw, as i'm reading over my response here it does look like it may come off a bit snarky lol. by no means is it intended to be it's a genuine question :)

16. WizardHunt macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

This is so weird. I was trying since midnight last night. Finally I got through to Apple at 2 hrs 27 minutes later. But it was only a Apple Reservation email stating that they have reserved the 2 iPhones for me. Then I seen where another user got on AT&T and got his actually ordered. So I tried that as well. It worked. I got both my phones (White & Black one) ordered on AT&T and got a order number from AT&T and they say it will be shipped to arrive on Oct 14, 2011. I successfully paid for the iPhones and I see now on my checking account there are 2 pending large amounts on my account.

But, then this morning when I wrote up I get this email from Apple stating this:

Dear Apple Customer,
    Unfortunately, we were unable to complete the set up of your carrier account online and you will need to visit an Apple Retail Store in order to complete your iPhone purchase.

So I am not sure what to do. I guess all I can do is wait and see how it turns out. I have already paid in full to AT&T and they have the pending charge on my bank account, and I have a order number from AT&T so maybe everything is alright. I have not gave Credit Card information to Apple. So I assume Apple will just drop that those 2 orders since I will not go into the Apple Store. I hope they will not drop everything or both orders. Actually if they did it would be wrong of them since I have successfully been charged for the iPhones already. Don't you think?

17. BassetCase macrumors member

I am thinking that since you got that email from Apple your reservation was cancelled. That is probably a good thing. I am wondering why I didn't get that. I still have until tomorrow evening to preorder with Apple according to the email they sent me. I wish they would have just cancelled it since I already ordered with AT&T and paid.

18. WizardHunt macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

I sure hope that is the case. I just checked my order status on AT&T and it says it is on order and in processing... so it all looks normal. I will be breathing a sigh of relief once I see it shipped with a tracking number.

19. mbaturin, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2014

mbaturin macrumors regular

mbaturin

I got through on AT&T app around 3:15am EST last night and bought an iPhone 6 Plus 128gb Space Gray. I got a confirmation that basically said they didnt know when it would be shipped. So I decided what I would do is buy one outright from apple and just cancel my AT&T order. I got a reservation from the apple website around 3:45am and this morning, around 9am got a link to complete my transaction with Apple.

Now on the Apple website it says Estimated Delivery Oct1 - Oct 6. On AT&T status page it says Shipping Estimate: Pending Confirmation. I am wondering if AT&T is waiting until I either take action on the Apple reservation, or it expires at 9am to tell me what the status of the order is as far as shipments go.

Anyone know what this means, that is just my best guess? Why does mine say Pending Confirmation on AT&T Premier Status page?

Update 2:15pm

Well AT&T switched from Pending Confirmation to 10/31-11/11. That was cancelled immediately!

ATt.png

Went with Apple Reservation instead. I might still cancel that and just go to the store at the wee hours of the morning on the 19th.

apple.png

20. L-Tuned macrumors regular

I have received the reservation email this morning but I got a message saying "We are unable to upgrade this account. We are sorry, but this account cannot be upgraded at this time. Please visit an AT&T store for more account details." when I try to pre-order. Is it because the order I made through AT&T last night? :confused: