To those who use the apple wireless keyboard...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Frankied22, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

how do you like using it with your ipad for typing? Also, do any of you edit Google Docs with your iPad? Hows that experience?

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I bought one thinking it would be a handy device to have with my iPad, and I have tried using it on my iMac too. It's too small for me, and this might sound weird but I am faster typing on the iPad screen than I am on the KB. It's also pretty useless on the iMac as you can't get startup commands to work..The BT lag is too severe.

I now use the wired KB that came with my iMac, and the BT doesn't really get used much...There are better offerings keyboard wise out there for iPad I think.

3. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

I don't have trouble with that on my mini, although whenever usable, the wired is better. I like having those USB ports right there in front of me and no battery changes to bother with.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I have a powered USB dock for my iMac...Saves fiddling around at the back. Strange you can get system commands at re-start though...I'm lucky if I get 1 in 10 PRAM re-sets and that's with newly charged Eneloops.

5. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

I don't think charge has anything to do with it. It probably varies from model to model.

On the subject of charging, has anyone noticed that the battery life on the trackpad and keyboard is great if the computer is left on all the time, but awful when you sleep the mac?

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Actually the opposite again...My iMac is 24/7 and I always forget to turn off the Mouse and KB if I'm using it, the mouse suffers badly, probably because it goes into search mode, but the KB does seem to hold charge.

7. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

I love the keyboard and find I can use my iPad for 80% of what I used to use a laptop for with the keyboard.

8. stiligFox macrumors 6502a

stiligFox

After using the Apple BT keyboard, I ended getting this one: Logitech Tablet Keyboard for iPad. It's been really nice, and the extra key functions just for the iPad are a nice touch, like the home button key.

9. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I like having my gadgets well equipment for "any" situation so I have 9 cases and 6 keyboards for my 2 iPads...(very indecisive about what I like using the best).

I think the Logitech iPad tablet keyboard is very good, it stays connected best out of everything I own and it comes with a case for when I'm out of the house...

...but I also have an OrientEX BT Keyboard that I got off Amazon for $19 shipped (more than $25 is free shipping and I ordered it with something else).

What I like about the OrientEX unit ($19) is that I can also control the iPad brightness level that can't be done on the Logitech unit ($47 from Amazon also)...I also have an Apple BT keyboard but hate that it has very limited iPad functionality since it came with my 21.5" iMac...apple only makes the iPad keyboard dock with full iPad functionality but its NOT practical to carry around due to the shape of the dock!

I have a MS6000 BT keyboard and its the most comfortable to type on due to the nice curve of the keyboard but it also has virtually no iPad functional keys on it.

My Spyder mini BT keyboard is nice and light, the battery lasts forever but its a mini keyboard so typing on it long is annoying but it does work with my iOS or Android devices at the same time.

My Khomo BT keyboard case is also a mini keyboard and I got it for $32 from Amazon so it was cheap enough to keep as it comes in handy when I don't want to be carrying two separate items around...

All in all I think the OrientEX keyboard would be my unit of choice all the time if it had a case with it like the Logitech...as it is now, I use the OrientEX unit at home and the Logitech out and about!

10. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

I use the Apple BT keyboard. It doesn't get heavy use. I use it for longer documents (over a paragraph or so) in Pages and Keynote and some emails. For my purposes it works fine. It is really small and light so it is not a burden to carry around in the same bag with the iPad yet it is a full size keyboard so typing is nice.

I can't comment on Google Docs as I don't use them.

11. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier. Have you looked at the zagg folio? It is a case/keyboard combo for the iPad 2 and iPad 3 (different models. They come in tons of colors too.

Here is the iPad 3 version. I have considered this multiple times for my iPad 2.
    http://www.zagg.com/accessories/zaggfolio-ipad-3-keyboard-case.php

12. JediMeister macrumors 68040

You can use startup keys with the Apple Wireless Keyboard, you just have to wait until after the boot chime. See here.

13. Anonymouslives macrumors 6502

Anonymouslives

I like using the wireless keyboard with my iPhone and iPod touch. I'd like to use it with the iPod nano too, but can't figure out how. I'd also,like to connect a wireless keyboard to another wireless keyboard, so I can type, while I type.

14. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I've looked at those Zagg keyboard covers in person and while they are a great idea (they have island style keyboards so they are slightly larger than my posted mini-keyboard or Khomo mini keyboard case) they are still not full size & very expensive at ~$95 each AND they look and feel very cheaply made considering they cost so much = I would still recommend the Logitech BT iPad keyboard or the OrientEX keyboard stand alone units as they are the same "full size" keyboard as the :apple: BT keyboard but have much more functionality!

15. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I like it alright with my iPad, but I get really annoyed when I forget to turn it off and the on screen keyboard doesn't appear.

16. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Having owned a zaggfolio for some time now, I can personally vouch for the quality of the keyboard. My own gripe is that it seems to defeat the purpose of owning an ipad, in that removing the ipad from the case can be a little cumbersome (eg: standing in a crowded train).

Still, I find it a good purchase for when you already have an ipad, need to do a lot of typing, but can't/won't afford a MBA. :)

17. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

It works just fine for me, but after using it a couple of times, it now sits by itself on a shelf. When I'm grabbing the iPad, I don't bother getting it down, and if I know I'll be typing, I pick up my laptop.