To Those with a PC GPU in your Mac Pro 2008

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Mercuric Oxide, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Mercuric Oxide macrumors 6502

Are you able to keep both cards (that is, the apple and pc GPU) in your system with no problems?

I want to move the 2600 to the second slot, and place a ATi 3870 X2 in the first slot. With this setup, I would like to simply change the display connector when changing OS's.

Yet, I've heard of people saying that the card not being used has its fans go full blast, as well as other problems.

Anyone able to achieve my desired setup without a problem?

I probably will not do it if I need to open the case and remove a card for each boot into a different OS.

Thanks.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Will the mac pro even see the card though? It probably wont boot osx.

4. Mercuric Oxide thread starter macrumors 6502

196 W (that's full intensive load, 110 W for Idle). So both it and the 2600 will be under the 300W limit.

5. Mercuric Oxide thread starter macrumors 6502

I want the card just for Windows. That's why I want to leave the 2600 in for OSX. But I heard of people having problems where the card not in use would have its fans go full blast if left plugged in.

I want to be able to switch OS's by simply changing the display connector, and not having to open the case.

6. mrcandy macrumors regular

I have a PC 8800GT in slot 1 and a 2600XT in slot 2.

Prior to flashing the 8800GT with the Mac ROM the fan on the 8800 would indeed run at full speed when running OSX. Very loud and annoying.

After flashing to the Mac ROM the 8800GT fan behaves normally under both OSX and Windows (which doesn't help for what you want to do unless someone finds a way to make the 3870x2 Mac friendly).

7. Mercuric Oxide thread starter macrumors 6502

ok, thanks for the info.

8. GotPro macrumors 6502

Why not pick up a cheap $20 variable fan controller (manual) from Fry's or someplace and fabricate the low/high knob on one of the rear empty PCI slot covers?

If you are already going to switch cables manually... Just turn the fans down manually when you boot back into OS X!

9. Shelob macrumors newbie

Is flashing the ROM the same as zapping the PRAM?