To those with crooked "function" keys on new macbook pro....Possible Solution

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by michlc88, Nov 22, 2008.

1. michlc88 macrumors member

I myself have been through four different macbook pros and for multiple reasons such as dead pixels, dents, and crooked keys. My first and last ones had crooked keys. I decided to live with it since nothing else was wrong with my current one. But, I was trying something. I popped the key off of one that is crooked, the f5 key, and one that is not, the esc key, and I put the esc key in the position that the f5 key was in, and it was not crooked anymore. I did the same for other keys to, so I starting to think that maybe its the keys that are bad and not the way the macbook pro was made. If any of you who have crooked keys could try this and see if it works, we might be able to fix this problem for good just by getting replacement keys.
    Thanks

2. Pneublet macrumors member

This wasn't an issue on mine but very nice find. Is it hard to remove the keys without damaging them?

3. michlc88 thread starter macrumors member

No...its not hard at all. It's basically the same keyboard as the MacBook Air, and I've even talked to AppleCare and they said that you can remove them without damaging them, but I still advise you to be careful if you do.

4. Pneublet macrumors member

Have you or anybody you've talked to called apple to find a price on replacement keys?

5. michlc88 thread starter macrumors member

No, not yet. I was going to see if anybody else on here could fix theirs by doing it too. Maybe since it could be considered a defect, you could just set up an appointment at a genius bar and there would be no charge.

6. Pneublet macrumors member

Even if you're right, until Apple acknowledges that this is the solution, you probably won't be able to get it for free. Maybe you would be able to purchase the keys and if Apple concludes this is the problem they'll give you a refund. Or more than likely, if it was anything like my experience trying to get a replacement battery cover, the Apple store doesn't even carry the part and can't even order it yet.