To those with scratched Candyshells (all of you)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Ferris23, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

I got a Batwing Candyshell today and I love it. I hated this case when it first came out but after having it on my phone all day it really is pretty sweet.

However when I got home from work I noticed that I somehow put a nasty scratch on the back of it, and I was pretty careful with it.

Now I'm not that anal that I freak out over case scratches, espcially since most are the type that can be seen best only at certain angles against the light on the Candyshell. No big deal, a case is for taking a beating, so my phone doesn't.

But c'mon, an ugly scratch day one? :(

Anyway, I have this stuff that also works for Iphone scrathces called Scratch X. I used it on the back of my friends black Iphone and it removed many hairline scratches and scuffs. It can be found at any autozone or auto parts store. It's called Scratch X 2.0.

I decided to try it on the Candyshell and I swear it TOTALLY removed the scratch I put on this case, not to mention the small hairline ones that accumulated over the day. I have a totally clean, glossy finish.

All you do is rub it on the case up and down slowly for a while and then buff it like crazy. The case looks brand new. This was an ugly 1 1/2" scratch and it is GONE!

This is a great way to condition the case to look new every few weeks, it takes no paint off.

Obviously test an area on yours first but on the Black Batwing it worked perfectly, the tube of Scratch X was $7.00

2. DukeL macrumors member

DukeL

To me its just unnaceptable how easy/fast it gets scratched up in the first place. I don't want to have to constantly condition or wax an iPhone case. It should just be durable. All that aside, good tip.

3. Ferris23 thread starter macrumors 68020

It seems that most hard glossy finishes scratch easy. The Marware Flexishell is an exception as that case is glossy and pretty scratch resistant. Although cases like the slider that don't scratch easy, scratch the phone. Pick your evil there.

I'm just going to let this case be abused and shine it up nice now and then, it still offers great protection.

4. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

That's an awesome tip, thanks! I don't have any AWFUL scratches on either of my Candyshells yet (or at least none that are bad enough to annoy me, but my cases are pink and white, so I think the scratches are minimized a bit by that) but I'm thinking about getting a tube of this stuff to keep around the house just in case I get one on either of the cases or (god forbid) the iPhone itself.

5. V4705 macrumors 6502

i cant get the scratch-x but maybe its like the turtle wax ?

anyway there are many cases that scratches that fast and even faster\harder (contour flick, griffin clarifi, i think the reveal too).

thanks for the tip, i'll try it with some wax products (probably turtle's).

6. xkylar macrumors newbie

I have the white candyshell and it's pretty scratched up after 2 weeks. but i figured better the case than the phone and that's what i bought it for.

7. Ferris23 thread starter macrumors 68020

I agree. This is just a way to keep it looking new over time

For those that use this just keep at it until the scratches are gone. It took me about 5 minutes and 2 or 3 applications of polish. Easy just don't give up if one coat doesn't do it

Turtle Wax may work but just make sure it's not too gritty. Turtle wax makes a rubbing compound and a polisher, I'd think the polisher would be less abrasive

Youve looked for scratch x before with no luck?

Pep Boys, Auto Zone and Advanced Auto Parts had it by me.

8. V4705 macrumors 6502

turtlewax didnt do anything.
    i'll keep searching for scratch removal.
    ScratchX will cost me 19$, if i wont find anything else maybe i'll order it.

9. Ferris23 thread starter macrumors 68020

Where are you located?

The key to removal is to get some muscle into it. Just apply a nice layer, rub it on well, then buff like mad. I mean don't drive the case down so hard you bend it, but your arm should be a little tired after the buffing.

:)

10. V4705 macrumors 6502

i'm not from the US.

anyway that's exactly what i did but i don't think turtlewax is good for that.
    tomorrow i'll go to the mall, maybe i'll find something useful.

thanks for the help.

11. kicko macrumors 65816

its the nature of the gloss plastics. They show up on black or dark colors more.

the only thing i think you could try but now is probably too late is to spray the back with a coating of some type, either a UV protective spray to give it a clear coat or a rubber-ish coating but that would peel eventually.

12. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

To be honest, I just ignore it. The case is there to protect the phone so I simply let it take the abuse. At some point the scratching will just form a finish of it's own. lol I guess some will now be looking for cases to protect their cases.