To Timemachine or not??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mindprey, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Mindprey macrumors member

I have an external 4tb hard drive that is my entire itunes library. Is there a way that I can use Timemachine to back that up to another external hard drive, or do I need to buy a backup program?

2. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

If there is room you can make a partition for your backups.

3. Mindprey thread starter macrumors member

What I'm hoping Timemachine can do is make an exact backup of my itunes library (which is 4tb) to another 4tb external drive. Is this something that can be done?

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

You are confusing Time Machine to act just like any network drive and it is not great at doing that. Maybe you should look at Synology NAS drives and get the models that support Time Machine. Plus you can get one that also supports an iTunes Server integration and then follow the step in the video Move Your iTunes Library to an External Drive (The Simple Way).

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes. Time Machine by default excludes external drives from backup. So just attach the drive with your iTunes library then go to Time Machine preferences and click the Option button then remove the external from the exclusions list. From then on the iTunes library will be backed up to tour second external as part of normal Time Machine backups.

6. Alrescha macrumors 68020

He already has iTunes on an external drive. He needs another external drive for his Time Machine backup as Weaselboy recommends.

A.

7. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Like I said before something like the Synology DS214play that has a built in hardware video encoder. This then could be in raid 1 and hold his videos so his Mac can do other things.

8. Fishrrman macrumors G3

[[ I have an external 4tb hard drive that is my entire itunes library. Is there a way that I can use Timemachine to back that up to another external hard drive, or do I need to buy a backup program? ]]

I don't see the benefit in using Time Machine to create what will be a "dupe" of your external drive.

You can use a "cloning app" such as CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to do it, and be better off -- because the resulting backup drive will then be in POFF (plain old finder format). To access the backup, all you'll need to do is plug it in, and everything will be "right there".

Actually, you could just do a "finder copy" of the contents of the drive.

But the advantage of using a clone app is that things will go faster when it's time to "incrementally update" the backup.

My opinion only.

9. Mindprey thread starter macrumors member

This makes sense. It is somewhat difficult to find out information about what time machine can/cannot do.

10. Mindprey thread starter macrumors member

If i do this and need to restore my 4tb+ itunes library! I can do that from Timemachine?

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yep... you sure can.