Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mbhforum

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
I have a AW3 SSSB with 8 months of warranty left. Apple is offering $250 but Average price on Swappa is $268. With the trade in, I can keep my band(I can resell the band that comes new with my AW4 since I have black band already and power cable as well.). Another part of me wants to wait to the used AW3 supply dries up and prices go up again.

Also, I signed up for a Trade in for the watch I ordered online getting delivered next week. I have now procured one to pick up in store. If I return the one i ordered online being shipped, I can I still use the trade in kit and get the $250? I was hoping to see if I can try eBay or Swappa first.

metalsiren

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2017
I was taking the trade since swapp, for example, it wasnt even worth it and I get to keep the band, and power cable. (also dont have to deal with shipoing etc) personally, I dont think the S3 SS will go up in price. the Ceramic one will for sure. I did the trade in to get what I could

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2010
You have a guaranteed $250 vs a possible $268 with some hassle involved and losing accessories.. I think the answer is clear with these details.

Reactions: BrianR

mbhforum

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Yeah I’m leaning towards that way. I can try and hold out for $325 on Swappa. Apple told me I have 14 days to go back and trade in but then I think they give you a gift card instead of cash off. Is this true?

okwhatev

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2005
It's kind of amazing how little value the more expensive Apple Watches hold. The Apple Watch is by far the most disposable Apple product, with the value dropping from $800 for a stainless steel down to less then $200. At least their phones hold their vaiue (You can still sell a 256GB iPhone X for close to $800... a stainless series 3? You'd be insanely lucky to get $300 for it... $200 or less is the norm. Ouch ouch ouch.. )

Reactions: gemnilocs

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
I think if the cost to upgrade isn't a significant part of your finances, go for it. If you're on a budget, i'd wait for the next series.

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
It's kind of amazing how little value the more expensive Apple Watches hold. The Apple Watch is by far the most disposable Apple product, with the value dropping from $800 for a stainless steel down to less then $200. At least their phones hold their vaiue (You can still sell a 256GB iPhone X for close to $800... a stainless series 3? You'd be insanely lucky to get $300 for it... $200 or less is the norm. Ouch ouch ouch.. )
Yep one of the main reasons I’m only buying the aluminum model from now on. At least until the tech begins to peak and the upgrades aren’t so substantial.

Reactions: deeddawg

mbhforum

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
I traded it in. $250 plus I’ll sell the black band on eBay for $25-30 and keeping an extra power cable. Comes close to what I’d get selling on Swappa.

Farrellcollie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
I am just going to give mine to a family member. The trade in for my aluminum 42 gps/cell was $225. I feel better giving it to my sibling versus the feeling I would have for the trade price.

ectospheno

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2005
I have an aluminum S3. I like it a lot. The case and screen still look like new.

I want an S4 mostly for the larger screen and haptic feedback on the dial. My wife said she would be happy to take my S3 if I upgrade so I went to my local Apple store and looked at them.

The stainless steel models are just sexy, even if you go with a sport band. At this point I'm not sure I really care about resale value. The stainless models just look better.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I traded it in. $250 plus I’ll sell the black band on eBay for $25-30 and keeping an extra power cable. Comes close to what I’d get selling on Swappa.

I gave CL a week and then used the Apple trade-in program. Keeping the bands and charging cable, plus getting a refund for half the AC+ cost, made it a pretty good deal, with zero hassle.
[doublepost=1537997997][/doublepost]

Agreed. But the less expensive aluminum models tend to do better on a percentage basis than the SS and Edition versions. You probably get massacred when you sell a Hermes.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Yep one of the main reasons I’m only buying the aluminum model from now on. At least until the tech begins to peak and the upgrades aren’t so substantial.

I agree with your analogy about the aluminum and the reasons for the Apple Watch that decline in value rather quickly over other Apple products. That said, I just can’t settle for the aluminum, because I can’t justify how cheap it feels to me. The stainless, although significantly more expensive than when it first started now at $750, the aesthetics and the way it feels on my wrist at least appears to be the worth the price tag alone in the stainless hardware.

mbhforum

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
I agree with your analogy about the aluminum and the reasons for the Apple Watch that decline in value rather quickly over other Apple products. That said, I just can’t settle for the aluminum, because I can’t justify how cheap it feels to me. The stainless, although significantly more expensive than when it first started now at $750, the aesthetics and the way it feels on my wrist at least appears to be the worth the price tag alone in the stainless hardware.

I feel the same exact way. I paid over $700 for my aw3 sbss just 6 months ago and sold it back to Apple for $250. I essentially leased it for $75 a month which is ridiculous. It was a terrible financial decision, but my s0 was dying and the rumors about the new aw4 didn’t surface until a little after. I’ve always had stainless steel and it’s hard to go back once you get used to it.

The S3 SS really dropped in value once Apple announced the redesign.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I got my trade in kit today and it asks me to include the band.
I traded mine in store and got to keep the band.
[doublepost=1538008187][/doublepost]
I have an aluminum S3. I like it a lot. The case and screen still look like new.

I want an S4 mostly for the larger screen and haptic feedback on the dial. My wife said she would be happy to take my S3 if I upgrade so I went to my local Apple store and looked at them.

The stainless steel models are just sexy, even if you go with a sport band. At this point I'm not sure I really care about resale value. The stainless models just look better.
I’ve had apple watches since watch 0. Only ss and sbss satisfy me.
[doublepost=1538008462][/doublepost]
I feel the same exact way. I paid over $700 for my aw3 sbss just 6 months ago and sold it back to Apple for $250. I essentially leased it for $75 a month which is ridiculous. It was a terrible financial decision, but my s0 was dying and the rumors about the new aw4 didn’t surface until a little after. I’ve always had stainless steel and it’s hard to go back once you get used to it.

The S3 SS really dropped in value once Apple announced the redesign.
Apple watches aren’t investments, they’re luxuries.

DianaMR

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2016
I’m trading mine in and already have my kit, but I read somewhere here that I should take a picture of a screen on my watch and the watch itself (for proof of condition), but I can’t remember what screen they said to take a picture of. Does anyone know? I think it may have been the one with the SN and other ID numbers. Would there be any other screens that I should take a picture of?

Last edited:

roberthodgson

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
I got $290 CDN for my AW3LTE had it for a year but I agree its not the best financial decision but after having the new AW4 and the bigger screen and faster processor I do not regret making the deal.

Frankfurt

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2016
USA
Stainless Steel watches are a terrible financial decision as their trade in value is basically the same as Alum.

I owned a SBSS S0 with SB link bracelet. Kept the band and sold the watch for $200 in 2017 (original retail was around $1k).

I bought a SG Alum S3 last year and traded it in for the S4 Alum. It was in mint condition.

Will always go Alum going forward. I am still using the original SBSS link bracelet.

mackie8

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
i think better give it to someone than trading to a very low price ... s3 is still usable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.