To trade or not to trade?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Camoischaos, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Camoischaos macrumors member

Would it seem like a good idea to trade my macbook 2.4 ghz for a MBP 2.16 ghz i could take out my 4 gigs of ram and put back in the stock 2 gigs for the MBP only has 1 gig. Im just not 100% sure if i should do the trade so i figured ill see what the good members of macrumors would have to say about it.

2. pyramis macrumors member

Exactly which model versions are we talking about here?

In general, I'd say a trade from a Macbook to a MBP, both from last couple of years, is definitely a trade UP.

3. Camoischaos thread starter macrumors member

I have the info on the MBP in my email actually here they are

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro 15"
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro2,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 1 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP22.00A5.B07
    SMC Version: 1.12f5
    Serial Number: W8649C8MW0G
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled

4. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Like the previous poster said, upgrading from any MB to any MBP is a step in the right direction. I would definitely do the trade.

5. Camoischaos thread starter macrumors member

Right o. I wouldnt see a diffrence from a 2.4 to a 2.16?

6. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Not really. The only thing that impacts the performance you can see is RAM. More RAM=faster functions. If you're concerned about speed, invest in more RAM.

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I don't agree with that at all. Going from an Al macbook to a core duo macbook pro would be a *huge* downgrade. This is not that bad, but I still wouldn't do it. The macbook is a much better machine in most ways.

8. priller macrumors regular

Why downgrade unless you want the dedicated graphics card or 15" screen?

9. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

The only thing you will be missing out on is the processor speed. If you aren't doing anything like video encoding or Photoshop, you should be fine. The Macbook Pro also has a better video card. Up to you.

10. Camoischaos thread starter macrumors member

Yeah its the only reason im really running it by my mind due to the graphics card so i could play games on it but i didnt buy this macbook for that i bought it for school so i dont really know.

11. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

The 2.16 MBP's are also not capable of addressing all 4GB, if that matters to you. Only 3.3...

12. mac jones macrumors 68040

I have both the Macbook Unibody and a non-unibody MBP.

Althought the MBP is a wonderful machine, these new unibodies are much superior in construction.

I doubt I will every use the MBP again and will most likely sell it. It's somewhat hard as it's also very nice.

It just feels flimsy now (and delicate) and also i'm very found of these new glossy screens (something I wasn't sure about at first). But the main reason is the weight. It's a pound lighter and since I use it on my lap it matters.

13. CoreyMac macrumors regular

Trading any MB for a MBP isnt necessarily an upgrade....the AlumBook 2.4 in comparison to this MBP.....

The new macbooks are built better, lighter, thinner, faster CPU, faster FSB, faster DDR3 RAM (and more of it since the one you're trading for only has 1GB), the new multi-touch glass trackpad, better battery life, and an LED display.....

EDIT: But this is the white macbook.....that makes the trade a little more reasonable I suppose. I wouldnt trade an Alumbook for that though. I'd probably do it with the whitebook

14. Camoischaos thread starter macrumors member

Yeah i've decided not to do the trade my macbook has grown onto me (weird to say) so i cant let it go. Ill keep this macbook till it decides to poop on me and by then a new laptop will be out by Apple.