To trade or not to trade...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iRez, Mar 9, 2010.

1. iRez macrumors member

So my cousin is in need of a 15" notebook and I've been wanting some more mobility with my notebook so here's the trade were contemplating... basically want to hear which machine y'all would prefer between the ones below and why?

13" Macbook Unibody (1st gen, glossy screen)
    2.4 GHZ
    4GB RAM (6GB tops)
    160HD
    Backlit Keyboard
    2USB
    Multitouch Trackpad
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
    User Replaceable HD

or

15" Macbook Pro (non unibody, matte screen)
    2.4 GHZ
    4GB RAM (6GB tops)
    160HD
    Backlit Keyboards
    2USB
    2FW
    Expansion Slot
    Multitouch Trackpad
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
    HD swap is doable but a pain in the ass

I use this machine for graphic design work (CS suite, CSS/HTML coding, scanning and photos) along with goofing off on the net. I generally plug my notebook into a 24" display when at home. I noticed that my machine gets pretty loud when streaming off Hulu and was hoping that the new macbook would be able to handle this a bit better but I doubt it. I also notice a few quirks when using Garageband but I think that's more software based than hardware but thought I'd mention it incase anybody has had some bad experiences with either machine. Personally I think I'm getting the short end of the stick and I'm going to be asking for one of his 6 ipods to be included in the deal since I just recently lost mine, what d'ya think?

2. SteveSparks macrumors 6502a

SteveSparks

I think you would be better to keep the system and buy an iPod. I think you will be sorry at some point giving up.

The Express Card Slot
    Firewire
    Screen Size
    Matte Display

What are the speed of the Drives? 5400? 7200?

Do they both have applecare?

3. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Do not trade your 13".

Your cousin's 15" has an Nvidia 8600m GT card that can fail on you at any time. All Nvidia 8600m GT are defective cards and will break, especially when its been 3+ years old now.

4. iRez thread starter macrumors member

SteveSparks, the drive speeds are both 5400rpm and no applecare on either.

jjahshik32, i knew about the nvidia 8600 issue when I bought the 15" (refurb, shoulda mentioned that) and I really haven't noticed any issues other than the fans speeding up like bananas whenever I access any flash content (but i'm guessing that has less to do with gpu than it does with sh¡tty flash and processors, and just for clarification It'll be me trading the 15" MBP for his 13" MB.

Thanks for the comments...

5. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Not all of the cards fail, youve been reading threads on here too much.