Resolved To TRIM, or not to TRIM (Vertex 3)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dlimes13, Jul 20, 2011.

1. dlimes13, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2011

dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

Okay so I'm in a delima, I read here today I should not use the Trim Enabler patch since it causes problems like freezing and beach balls (source: http://digitaldj.net/2011/07/21/trim-enabler-for-lion/)

Did a clean install about a week ago, good performance but not great and I have had intermittent lock ups and beach balls after TRIM patch was applied.

Also, I'm reading that I may not need to enable TRIM since the native garbage collection on the SandForce controller is good enough. My specs are in my sig, so what should I do? ATM I erased free space pre-Lion clean install and it's going right now. Should I not mess with TRIM?

2. superericla macrumors 6502

For the Vertex 3 I recommend not enabling TRIM. The garbage collection is enough.

3. dlimes13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

Thanks for the quick response. Am I doing the right thing on initial setup by formatting it, erasing free space (via Terminal) then installing?

4. superericla macrumors 6502

I don't believe there's any need to erase free space (suggesting it's new) because there hasn't been anything written to it.

5. dlimes13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

If it was new, I wouldn't. I did a re-install of Lion because of the slow downs and just wanted a fresh start. Drive is only a week old but this is my 2nd install of Lion. 1st was just experimental purposes.

6. Kraznoff macrumors member

Is there a way to manually "trim"? I got close to filling my SSD and deleted a bunch of files, from what I've read this will cause a massive slowdown of the drive, can I clean up the free space without the trim hack?