To turn off or not to turn off?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Metsfan7450, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Metsfan7450 macrumors regular

Metsfan7450

Is there any reason or situation in which I should turn off my iphone (hold down the standby button and actually shut it down)? Should I do it once a week, once a month, etc? Does it increase overall battery life?

2. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

When you don't want people calling you?

I can't see any other reasons, as apps aren't allowed to keep running in the background, so they can't cause your device to run slower.

3. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Yeah, if you turn it off -- it will go straight to VM.

Turning the iPhone off and on will probably just drain the battery more -- loading up the os, searching for networks, etc....

4. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Battery health is always decreasing. You can't increase it. But you can delay it from decreasing so quickly.

Just use your phone normally since it's better for the electrons to keep moving, either charging or draining.

If you want to help your battery, once a month charge it completely, drain it completely and let it charge completely again.

more info http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I never shut my iPhone down completely.

6. firewood macrumors 604

If you are out of range of cell coverage and wifi, and don't plan on using it for a hour or more, turning if off conserves battery life. For instance, sleeping during a long plane flight or ocean cruise, etc.