To UpDate Apps - Uninstall/Reinstall seems best

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Alan Mac Farlan, May 5, 2015.

1. Alan Mac Farlan macrumors regular

Curious issue I discovered lately with all the updates that are being cooked up.

I get one a week now for the Apps I have downloaded.

My iPhone 5s (iOS 8 of course) on the App Store says I have ... say ... 2 updates. (there is a red 2 in the upper right of the App Icon).

Well .. I just do not want to update over Verizon and a free Wi-Fi is hard to come by as well as the time to be there and multi-task with my lunch, date, etc.

So I update with iTunes ... however it will not make the red 2 go away, as the iPhone do not know ... yet .. that the update has taken place.

Oh yes .. I down load the update and hit the update 'Apply' button and then Sync it for back up after that ... still the iPhone App remains unchanged with the red 2 on it.

I have discovered that to make that red number disappear and have the icon the way it was .... I have to Uninstall the app ... hit 'Apply' ... then Reinstall the App ... hit 'Apply' .. then hit 'Sync' ... for back up of course.

iTunes needs to fix this of course ...

but for now .. that is the work around I have come up with.

Have a wonderful day guys ...

Alan

:apple::apple::apple:

2. sbddude macrumors 6502a

Just open the app store app and tap updates. It will re-check for any updates and if all apps are up to date it will not show any red number.

Or, you can go to notification settings and hide the badge on app store and that way you will not see any red number.

3. Coupz macrumors regular

Tap 10 times a button on the bottom inside the App Store so it refreshes itself.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Tap what button exactly and why 10 times?

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

This button: http://osxdaily.com/2015/04/28/force-app-store-refresh-ios-tap-trick/

----------

The red notification balloon won't go away if the apps are updated via iTunes, until you open the App Store and refresh the Updates page. Then only the red balloon will go away.

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Interesting trick. I usually just close the App Store app from the recent apps screen and then open it again to "force" it to refresh.

7. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Woah, I've had this problem for awhile. Pain in the you know where to update via iTunes so I just used wifi. I'll give it a try.

8. CPx macrumors 6502

9. maliu macrumors 6502a

10. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Yea no it doesn't work. Red badge remains so this trick is useless. :rolleyes:

11. Alan Mac Farlan thread starter macrumors regular

It goes away when I do it ... but it is tedious.

New update comes in like Fandango or Gas Buddy ...

have to update it from iTunes store.

then update it on the 5s/32 ...

then remove it ...

then install it ... and sync.

four steps and the red number on the notification goes away without me having to work it from the wi-fi or go over my data limit and get big bucks cost from Verizon.

Besides the internet is faster by speed .. not by mouse clicks.

Still not clicking it 10 times with my ruby red slippers.

sheesh ... is that a headache ...

Alan

:apple::apple::apple: