To update or not to update to iOS 5 beta?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by elie.fares, Jun 10, 2011.

1. elie.fares macrumors regular

Ever since the iOS 5 features were unveiled, I've been wondering if I should update my iPhone 4 to the beta version or not.
    So I figured I'd ask here. What do you think?

2. celticpride678

If you're a power user, you're probably going to notice some significant drops in battery time. If I could do it again, I'd wait until the second beta.

3. elie.fares thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not a heavy power user so my main concern is functionality.

4. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

It's functionality is great for me so far. Just don't set up iCloud yet. It is EXTREMELY LAGGY.

5. adztaylor macrumors 68000

If you're not a dev and if this is your main phone then stay clear. I'm as tempted as anyone to get my hands on iOS 5 but I don't want to mess up my main phone just because I'm impatient.

6. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

There's nothing to "mess up". As long as you have your SHSH's saved, then you can go right back down to 4.3.3 anytime you want.

7. IAmTheCrack macrumors member

THIS.

I'm not a developer and I upgraded on Monday evening. For a beta, it's surprisingly stable. However, this is my only phone and I depend on it to run my business when I'm traveling. (Well--my phone and my iPad 2).

I've noticed some troubling bugs. When I try to view detailed map information--it crashes. When I try to answer incoming calls--it crashes now and then. The phone feels laggier overall, too. (iPhone 4 on Verizon).

The new notification system is nice--and certainly the most compelling reason to upgrade in my mind--but now that I've been using it for a few days--my personal advice would be to wait it out til the Fall. Frankly, I tried to downgrade and I couldn't. So I'm stuck. And i'm sure things will improve with delta updates. But there's a reason everyone says--if you're not a dev--and you upgrade--you're a dope. It's true. On the whole--it's not terrible....but I should have heeded everyone's advice.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I'm pretty sure many of the video-playing apps don't play video.

Basically every app probably needs to update in some small way or another. If 'functionality' is your main concern then updating would be a terrible idea.

9. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Like Small White Car said, if you want functionality, wait for the official release. It's got "beta" in the title for a reason. Although from your use of the word 'functionality' I'm guessing you don't so much want functionality as you want new features.

10. bigsexyy81 macrumors 6502a

bigsexyy81

I really enjoy a few of the features. If you are not JB, go for it. If you are, ask yourself 'can I live without a few of these features?

I can't live more than a few days without SBSettings, biteSMS, and having at least 5 icons per row so I'll be going back to 4.3.3

11. elie.fares thread starter macrumors regular

By functionality I mean: does the phone work or is it laggy? Will it be usable as my main phone?
    I don't mind it being slow at some points. I've had to use my original 2G iPhone for 2 months because my iPhone 4 was broken. So yeah, I guess the main reason for me wanting to update would be the new features.

Thank you for the input everyone! :)

12. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

Power User: Go for it. You'll find that a lot of apps work, but not all the way. Many video apps do not work. Crashes, gets hotter than Georgia asphalt and battery life blows.

I got concerned about the longevity of my battery with the heat, so I backed out to 4.3.3 (and subsequently jail broke it).

I'll hop back in next beta or two.

13. budman1961 macrumors regular

If you iPhone is a mission critical, i.e., your business phone, your sole means of contact, dont. And if you do, dont complain if you have issues.

Its called BETA for a reason, I wish the dev-grade software had tighter controls, maybe we would avoid some of the HELP calls and postings.

Sorry for the mini-rant.

Andy

14. ravensfan55 macrumors 6502

In the past I've been eager to install the betas, but not this time. I use my phone for business so I don't need the headaches and bugs that come with the beta. Also I just got a new phone because my last one's battery crapped out, and being able to use it for 2 days standby + 6-8 hours of usage is too good to pass up for some new features that aren't even finalized.

15. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

Fyi - Sometimes the next betas can have more bugs that can be worse.

16. elie.fares thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the input, everyone!
    I've decided to try it out. And so far so good :)
    I don't mind the slowness at certain points. It's pretty usable so far.

17. shandyman Suspended

if you've done it as a total clean install, you shouldn't hit any slowness, well i haven't the last 3 days, as when i restored from a backup it lagged to hell at times

18. iphoneos macrumors newbie

iphoneos

If u are a dev go ahead and do it otherwise stay away from it.
    you will find it buggy because it is in early stages so wait , if u really want it wait at least until beta 3

It's up to u

good luck =]

19. elie.fares thread starter macrumors regular

I've restored it from a backup actually. My data is more important :p the only slow parts I'm facing are related to the new features, such as double click for the camera on the lockscreen and certain apps crash. Apart from that, I quite like it :)

20. rmeadejr macrumors 6502a

since apple is stilling signing 4.3.3, can't you just put the iphone in dfu mode then click restore.

21. genexrocket macrumors regular

I'm just gonna wait for the official release, I can wait :)

22. blesio macrumors regular

You don't even have to do that. Just download the 4.3.3 and choose restore while holding the shift key and the point to the 4.3.3 firmware. iTunes will do the rest for you :) it's as simple as that.

23. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

I personally wouldn't. I find it annoying having to deal with all the bugs. Just wait out a little longer until Apple releases a few updates that fix some major bugs that people seem to be having, and then update. I'd say wait until like July.

24. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I installed iOS 5 on both my devices and I restored them back to 4.3.3 after a while. There are as expected too many bugs and there are also apps that do not run well. I tried using the Reminders app and it was really buggy. I am excited about iOS 5 but I will try the next betas and stay away from the current version.

25. shandyman Suspended

From clean install the only data I really lost were some SMS messages, synced all my apps, photos, songs and contacts over from the compute :p