to Upgrade my MAC Pro 1,1

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by macguyalways, Jan 18, 2014.

1. macguyalways macrumors newbie

Hello All,
    been lurking and searching on here for years but never registered and here I am. I want to upgrade my current Mac Pro 1,1 to either a 8 core or try to find a cheap 12 core... I am a professional Photographer using (Adobe Suite) and also do DVD creation and use FCS... I just jumped a head of myself and got a dual quad core (8core) for $2k and seen a 12 core for $2500. It is being shipped and should have it but my question is the one I am currently using is come to be slowing down and need a much faster MAC.. now do I just use the 8 core for now and then upgrade later or just deny the shipment and go with the 12 core I have seen much higher scores for performance etc...... I am a IT of 23years so I can do the upgrades with no issues just trying to see what everyone else things as I am sure you have thought or done the same thing I am thinking about...

current
    2x 2.66ghz
    16gb
    ATI X1900
    Lion 10.7.5
    Dual Superdrives

2. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

I do not believe the Adobe products currently benefit from more than 7 cores, so I wouldn't bother with a 12-core machine.

3. macguyalways thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you for the input, I guess I am also running parallels with burning from windows and mac side creating DVD's. The computer I currently have is only a quad core and just looking to boost it and seeing what I paid for the dual quad core I can go to a 12 core from 350-500 which I thought would be a good jump... thank you for your input....

4. donw35 macrumors regular

donw35

the CPU upgrade is easy and cheap, you can also do the boot.EFI trick and ru Mavericks and use newer non Mac PC Video cards.

Go for the 3 Ghz quad cores CPU's and 1,2 firmware update, I think thats about the best cost effictive upgrade.

5. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

Hi Macguy. You can also upgrade the video card to a Radeon 5770HD mac edition. There are good PC flashed graphic cards though they are usually compatible with 3.1 or newer Mac Pros. You may also add a Sonnet Tempo SSD like this ONE