To upgrade or fix old MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DaftMonk, Jul 22, 2010.

  1. DaftMonk macrumors member

    DaftMonk

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2008
    Location:
    Canada
    #1
    Hi all, I've had my Santa Rosa Mid-'07 MacBook Pro since it came out, but recently I had the screen die on me (still not sure why this happened). I've found a "low" quote for the repair, and it's $700 (CND). My question is: should I repair it, or go for the newest 15" i5/i7? The old one is a great computer, and I love it, but I was planning on upgrading either next year or 2012 if I could hold out that long.

    Is it worth fixing a three-year old computer that I was going to replace the following year?

    Thanks for any and all advice. :)
     
  2. spinnerlys Guest

    spinnerlys

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2008
    Location:
    forlod bygningen
    #2
    Have a look at ifixit and see for yourself if you could manage to repair/replace the display. Look on ebay for lower prices on those display, as ifixit is known to have not so good prices.
     
  3. DaftMonk thread starter macrumors member

    DaftMonk

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2008
    Location:
    Canada
    #3
    Hmm, okay. From a bit of research there, it would be far more expensive, as I need to replace my enclosure as well. :p
     
  4. wywern209 macrumors 65832

    wywern209

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2008
    Location:
    do you rly want to know?
    #4
    at this point, it think it is best to sell it and buy a new i5 macbook pro base model.
     
  5. therocket macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2010
    #5
    Hmmm, That is unfortunate to hear.
    Me personally, I would buy a new Pro and sell your 07 pro for as much as you can for parts or something. Then in a few updates to the MBP line, you can just sell your 2010 MBP for a pretty good resale price(hopefully) and buy a new model. I think that you might loose less than $700 if you do this.
    Although, if the next few update are 'major' updates - ie USB 3, BlueRay, who knows what new technologies- then you will risk loosing resale value...
    If money isn't a problem, then I would do this.

    Good Luck
     
  6. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2008
    #6
    There is a possibility that it is not the screen try hooking up an external monitor. If nothing shows up on the external it is probably the video card and that would be a free repair.
     
  7. RamblinWreck macrumors regular

    RamblinWreck

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2008
    #7
    +1

    I would definitely check this before doing anything else. The GPU on my 07MBP SR was replaced for free last month. The warranty for the GPU is 3 years for this model, so you could be running short on time depending on your purchase date.
     
  8. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2008
    #8
    It is 4 years now
     
  9. cluthz macrumors 68040

    cluthz

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    Location:
    Norway
    #9
    The SR MBP was introduced summer 07, so it should be within 3 years, unless you bought it as soon as it was introduced.

    Have you checked the cable?
     
  10. DaftMonk thread starter macrumors member

    DaftMonk

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2008
    Location:
    Canada
    #10
    Thanks everyone. :) I've decided on a course of action - buy the entry-level 15", upgrade with 8GB RAM + 500GB 5400RPM HD + Hi-res Antiglare, sell in a year for the Sandy Bridge model. My '07 does actually work, but the LCD does not – so, I'll attach a cheap external monitor and use it as a server.

    Thanks especially for this advice. I don't think I would have thought of getting an i5, but it makes more sense at this point.
     
  11. wywern209 macrumors 65832

    wywern209

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2008
    Location:
    do you rly want to know?

Share This Page