To upgrade or fix old MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DaftMonk, Jul 22, 2010.

1. DaftMonk macrumors member

DaftMonk

Hi all, I've had my Santa Rosa Mid-'07 MacBook Pro since it came out, but recently I had the screen die on me (still not sure why this happened). I've found a "low" quote for the repair, and it's $700 (CND). My question is: should I repair it, or go for the newest 15" i5/i7? The old one is a great computer, and I love it, but I was planning on upgrading either next year or 2012 if I could hold out that long.

Is it worth fixing a three-year old computer that I was going to replace the following year?

Thanks for any and all advice. :)

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have a look at ifixit and see for yourself if you could manage to repair/replace the display. Look on ebay for lower prices on those display, as ifixit is known to have not so good prices.

3. DaftMonk thread starter macrumors member

DaftMonk

Hmm, okay. From a bit of research there, it would be far more expensive, as I need to replace my enclosure as well. :p

4. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

at this point, it think it is best to sell it and buy a new i5 macbook pro base model.

5. therocket macrumors member

Hmmm, That is unfortunate to hear.
    Me personally, I would buy a new Pro and sell your 07 pro for as much as you can for parts or something. Then in a few updates to the MBP line, you can just sell your 2010 MBP for a pretty good resale price(hopefully) and buy a new model. I think that you might loose less than $700 if you do this.
    Although, if the next few update are 'major' updates - ie USB 3, BlueRay, who knows what new technologies- then you will risk loosing resale value...
    If money isn't a problem, then I would do this.

Good Luck

6. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

There is a possibility that it is not the screen try hooking up an external monitor. If nothing shows up on the external it is probably the video card and that would be a free repair.

7. RamblinWreck macrumors regular

RamblinWreck

+1

I would definitely check this before doing anything else. The GPU on my 07MBP SR was replaced for free last month. The warranty for the GPU is 3 years for this model, so you could be running short on time depending on your purchase date.

8. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

It is 4 years now

9. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

The SR MBP was introduced summer 07, so it should be within 3 years, unless you bought it as soon as it was introduced.

Have you checked the cable?

10. DaftMonk thread starter macrumors member

DaftMonk

Thanks everyone. :) I've decided on a course of action - buy the entry-level 15", upgrade with 8GB RAM + 500GB 5400RPM HD + Hi-res Antiglare, sell in a year for the Sandy Bridge model. My '07 does actually work, but the LCD does not – so, I'll attach a cheap external monitor and use it as a server.

Thanks especially for this advice. I don't think I would have thought of getting an i5, but it makes more sense at this point.

11. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209