To upgrade or not to upgrade--- 1st Gen MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by phiboy05, Jun 20, 2008.

1. phiboy05 macrumors newbie

I bought my MacBook in October 2006, shortly before the first refresh took place. I am now considering upgrade a few of the specs on the computer:

Hard Drive (I now have 100 GB. I'd prefer larger.)
    RAM (I have 1 GB. I'd like to bump that up to 2)

I have not had very good luck with laptop longevity, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on upgrades. Is it worth putting in money to upgrade these features, or is it likely my laptop will crap out on me in the near future and I should save the money for a full system upgrade?

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

3. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

My MacBook was made in October '06 and it's still chugging along great. I upgraded the heck out of it :D. The HDD went from 60GB > 120GB, RAM from 512MB > 2GB, and it's also running Leopard. It does have a palmrest crack that happened a few months ago but it doesn't bother me that much. I still have ~35GB free out of 90GB on my Mac partition, and about 6GB free on my 21.5 GB Windows partition. I just got another 1GB stick of RAM last week too, haven't seen too many page-outs.

I'm gonna keep it so I can see how long it goes until it totally craps out. Even though those MBPs look pretty sweet... :cool:

4. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

ive been contemplating for months weather to or not to and all i got was 1 512mb stick of ram for 14$ can off ebay in total with shipping and feeling like an idiot why didnt i buy a 1gb stick anywhos im probably going to get another 512mb stick for 1gb but keeping the 60gb hd since im probably going to give it to my mom by chirstmas since i shall be getting a mac mini, but mine where the palms rest the finish wore off on the right side and its dirty as a mofo i tried everything i mean everything!

sorry if it doesnt make sence im half asleep

oh and the first gens only read up to 160 as i was told by a person who put a 250 in

5. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

I'd definitely max out the RAM since it's so cheap to do so. I have a REV A from June 2006 and I'm still using the 60 GB HD :eek: (with a few externals). I'm about to bump that to at least a 160. My applecare is good for another year, so might as well. I'll be keeping this laptop until Apple does a serious MB design change or 2010 - whichever comes first.

6. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

yea well im using a 60gb with no externals i just share music from my emac to it or w.e and look at my ram, serial, and to think i had vista and leopard on the same 60gb hd as u and there was room to spare :eek: oh and i have a 250gb to my emac cause i sure as hell couldnt fit my music onto a 40gb hd with all its programs